|Single by Dolly Parton and Ricky Van Shelton|
|from the album Eagle When She Flies and Backroads|
|B-side||"What a Heartache"|
|Released||February 4, 1991|
|Format||7" single, CD Single|
|Recorded||November 8, 1990|
|Producer(s)||Steve Buckingham, Gary Smith, Dolly Parton|
|Dolly Parton singles chronology|
|Ricky Van Shelton singles chronology|
"Rockin' Years" is a song written by Floyd Parton, and recorded as a duet by American country music artists Dolly Parton and Ricky Van Shelton. it was released in February 1991 as the lead-off single to both Parton's album Eagle When She Flies and Shelton's album Backroads. The song reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart, giving Parton her twenty-third number one and Shelton his eighth. The song would be Parton's last chart-topper until 2006.
The song is a mid-tempo country waltz in which two narrators — a male and a female — promise to love each other until their "rockin' years"; i.e., when they are old and sitting in rocking chairs together.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||33|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||29|
Other recorded versions
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 315–317. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Greatest Hits Plus (CD). Ricky Van Shelton. Columbia Records. 1992. 52753.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 1520." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. May 18, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Dolly Parton Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1991". RPM. December 21, 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Best of 1991: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1991. Retrieved August 16, 2013.