Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling
|Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling|
Final official promotional poster
|Based on||Rocko's Modern Life|
by Joe Murray
|Directed by||Joe Murray|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Joe Murray|
Raymie Muzquiz (supervising producer)
|Editor(s)||Kevin Sukho Lee|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Joe Murray Productions|
Nickelodeon Animation Studio
Viacom Media Networks
|Picture format||1080p (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original release||August 9, 2019|
Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling is an upcoming American animated television special based on Joe Murray's Nickelodeon series Rocko's Modern Life. Originally slated to premiere on Nickelodeon in 2018, it was left unaired; in May 2019, Nickelodeon sold the distribution rights to the special to Netflix, which has scheduled its release for August 9, 2019.
After being in space for 25 years, Rocko and his friends return to a late-2010s era O-Town with modern amenities such as constantly updating touchscreen phones, radioactive energy drinks, food trucks and coffee shops on every corner. Rocko, who does not share Heffer and Filburt's enthusiasm for the 21st century and finds that his job at Kind-of-a-Lot-O-Comics has been replaced by an instant-print kiosk, attempts to get his favorite television show back on the air. He succeeds and becomes a hero and unwilling celebrity in O-Town.
- Carlos Alazraqui as Rocko, Spunky, Leon Chameleon
- Tom Kenny as Heffer Wolfe, Chuck Chameleon, Really Really Big Man
- Mr. Lawrence as Filburt, Maitre D'
- Charlie Adler as Ed & Bev Bighead, Mr. Dupette, Grandpa Wolfe, Mrs. Fathead
- Linda Wallem as Crazy Aunt Gretchen, Dr. Hutchison
- Joe Murray as Ralph Bighead
- Jill Talley as Nosey
- Steve Little as Cowboy
- Cosmo Serguson as Pillow Salesman
On August 11, 2016, Nickelodeon announced that they had greenlit a one-hour TV special, with Joe Murray as executive producer. Murray revealed to Motherboard that in the special, Rocko will come back to O-Town after being in space for 20 years, and that it will focus on people's reliance on modern technology. On June 22, 2017, it was announced that the title of the special would be Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling, and reconfirmed that the entire main cast and recurring cast would be reprising their roles, alongside new voice actors Steve Little and co-director Cosmo Serguson. A release date was originally set to 2018. A special sneak peek was released to coincide with the Rocko panel at San Diego Comic-Con in 2017. The same clip was uploaded to YouTube on July 20, 2017.
Production on the special officially wrapped on February 8, 2018.
On September 24, 2018, Murray gave a slight update about the lack of news surrounding the special's release. He did not confirm or deny the rumors of the special releasing on streaming, stating he was "sworn to secrecy". Earlier that same month, in reply to a tweet about the same topic, Murray stated that there were "actually some thing [sic] going on behind the scenes that I think everyone will be happy about that is delaying the airing of the special."[disputed ]
On May 10, 2019, during a conference call for Viacom's second earnings, Viacom president Robert Bakish announced that Netflix has acquired the distribution rights to Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling and the streaming service confirmed three days later it would premiere in the summer of 2019.
On July 16, 2019, it was confirmed alongside an exclusive clip by the Rocko's Modern Life official Instagram page and various news sources that the show would premiere on Netflix on August 9, 2019.
- Balach, Katelyn; Robertson, Sydney (June 22, 2017). "NICKELODEON'S BRAND-NEW TV SPECIAL ROCKO'S MODERN LIFE: STATIC CLING REUNITES ORIGINAL VOICE CAST TO REPRISE ROLES". Nickelodeon Press. Viacom International, Inc. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- Hughes, William (May 11, 2019). "Netflix to run new Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim movies". The A.V. Club. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Nickelodeon (July 20, 2017). "SDCC 'Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling' Sneak Peek | Rocko's Modern Life | Nick". YouTube. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling". 30 June 2019.
- "Rocko has returned... from space... 20+ years later! Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling is coming to @netflix Aug 9th". Rocko's Modern Life Official Instagram. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
- "Nickelodeon May Revive Classic 90s Shows Like 'Rugrats' and 'Doug'". 2 September 2015.
- Otterson, Joe (August 11, 2016). "New 'Rocko's Modern Life' One-Hour Special to Air on Nickelodeon". The Wrap.
- Mead, Derek (11 August 2016). "'Rocko's Modern Life' Is Making a Comeback". Vice. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Swift, Andy (June 22, 2017). "Rocko's Modern Life: Original Voice Cast Reuniting for TV Movie in 2018". TVLine. TVLine Media, LLC. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- "'Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling' Production Crew Hold Wrap Party In Hollywood". NickALIve!. February 13, 2018. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Murray, Joe (September 24, 2018). "MANY RUMORS ABOUT ROCKO". Joe Murray Studios. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- JustSomeRandomUser (September 7, 2018). "[Murray response to query about special delay]". Twitter. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Lovett, Jamie. "Rocko's Modern Life Netflix Special Poster and Release Date Revealed". comicbook.com. Retrieved 16 July 2019.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling|