Rockport State Park (Michigan)
|Rockport State Park|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
|Location||Alpena, Presque Isle counties, Michigan, USA|
|Nearest city||Alpena, Michigan|
|Area||4,237 acres (17.15 km2)|
|Governing body||Michigan Department of Natural Resources|
Rockport State Park is a 4,237-acre (17.15 km2) state park located along the shore of Lake Huron in Alpena and Presque Isle counties in the state of Michigan. It is operated by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and was established in 2012. The park contains limestone formations and an old limestone quarry. There is a deep water boat launch that can accommodate all sizes of watercraft. The park is located along the Lake Huron Flyway and is used to gauge the health of Lake Huron and its shoreline environment. Several ship wrecks can be found off-shore in the Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary including the Portland and the Portsmouth. The park was previously known as "The Rockport property" and is not far north of Alpena, Michigan.
In Alpena County, about 11 miles south is the Michigan Nature Association’s Julius C. and Marie Moran Peter Memorial Nature Sanctuary. The sanctuary encompasses 95 acres and Grass Lake. dwarf lake iris, bird's-eye primrose and eastern white cedar surround it, and running through it is Hamilton Road, Michigan's first declared "Natural Beauty Road" (1971).
- "Rockport Becomes the Newest Michigan State Park" (Press release). Michigan DNR. 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2012-02-14.
- Travis, Jordan (April 12, 2012). "DNR to secure permission for Friends of Rockport to clear trails". The Alpena News (Ogden Newspapers Inc.). Archived from the original on April 13, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- "Rockport Boating Access Site". Michigan's Recreational Boating Information System.
- Michigan DNR. "The Rockport Property Executive Summary" (PDF). p. 2.
- "Michigan’s Newest State Park: Rockport". Michigan Nature Association. March 9, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
- The Rockport Property Michigan DNR
|This Alpena County, Michigan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|