Rockville Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
Location in Kankakee County
Kankakee County's location in Illinois
|Established||May 9, 1853|
|• Supervisor||Richard Moran|
|• Total||36.6 sq mi (95 km2)|
|• Land||36.45 sq mi (94.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.15 sq mi (0.4 km2) 0.41%|
|Elevation||640 ft (195 m)|
|• Density||24.1/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60901, 60914, 60950|
|GNIS feature ID||0429662|
Rockville Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 879 and it contained 326 housing units. It was formerly a township of Will County until Kankakee County was created. The township's name may have been derived from a Potawatomi village known to the pioneers as Rock Village.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.6 square miles (95 km2), of which 36.45 square miles (94.4 km2) (or 99.59%) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.39 km2) (or 0.41%) is water.
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Wilton Township, Will County (north)
- Peotone Township, Will County (northeast)
- Manteno Township (east)
- Bourbonnais Township (southeast)
- Limestone Township (south)
- Salina Township (southwest)
- Custer Township, Will County (west)
- Wesley Township, Will County (west)
The township contains these two cemeteries: Blooms Grove and DeSelm.
Airports and landing strips
- Moran Landing Strip
- Neiner Airport
- Kankakee River State Park (north edge)
- Kankakee River State Park (north quarter)
- Kankakee River State Park (vast majority)
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a Supervisor and four Trustees. The Township also has an elected Assessor, Clerk, Highway Commissioner and Supervisor. The Township Garage is located on Manteno-Deselm Road, Manteno Illinois 60950
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 40
Rockville Township used to have 2 schools. Taylor Schoolhouse was a one room school located near Deselm which opened in 1905 and closed in 1954. Deselm School was located in Deselm and that school also closed in 1954 when the schools were consolidated into the Manteno school district.
- Manteno Community Unit School District 5
- Peotone Community Unit School District 207-U
- "Rockville Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.