|Directed by||Nishikant Kamat|
|Written by||Ritesh Shah|
|Based on||The Man from Nowhere|
by Lee Jeong-beom
|Produced by||John Abraham|
|Edited by||Aarif Sheikh|
|Music by||Songs and Score:|
Sunny and Inder Bawra
|25 March 2016|
|Box office||₹350 million|
Rocky Handsome is a 2016 Indian Hindi-language neo-noir action thriller film directed by Nishikant Kamat, written by Ritesh Shah, and produced by John Abraham under J. A. Entertainment and Sunir Khetrapal under Azure Entertainment respectively. An official adaptation of the 2010 Korean film The Man from Nowhere, the film stars Abraham and child artist Diya Chalwad while Shruti Haasan, Nathalia Kaur, Kamat, Teddy Maurya and Sharad Kelkar appear in crucial supporting roles. The story follows a mysterious loan agent, who sets out to exact vengeance against a notorious crime syndicate after they kidnap his shady neighbour's eight year-old daughter, with whom he shares a special bond.
The theatrical trailer was released on 4 March 2016, and the film released on 25 March 2016.
Kabir Ahlawat lives a quiet life running a pawn shop in Goa, His next-door neighbor is Anna, a drug addict and bar dancer. She lives with her little daughter Naomi, who develops a nurturing relationship with Kabir. Meanwhile, ACP Dilip Sangodkar from the NCB is after Mantoo, a crime boss supported by brothers Kevin Ferriera and Luke Ferriera, who control a mass racket in organ harvesting and drug manufacturing with a professional assassin named Attila. One night, Anna and her accomplice, who is also her boyfriend, steal drugs from Mantoo's henchman Big Show. Anna hides the drugs in a camera she pawns to Kabir. The consignment loss enrages Mantoo, who assigns Kevin and gives 3 days to recover the stolen drugs. Luke and Attila reach Anna's place, where they torture Anna for the camera. However, much to their surprise, Naomi becomes an eyewitness to the brutal torments.
Unwittingly, Anna reveals the location of the drug, as a response to which Big Show enters Kabir's house along with his man Viju Dempo, demanding the camera. Kabir is obliged to hand the camera to Luke when he tells that Naomi and Anna are his captives. Kabir gets a call from Kevin to make a delivery to Mantoo, and promises to release them, if the delivery is successful. He delivers the drugs to Mantoo, where he finds that cops have already raided Mantoo's haven. Mantoo flees, and Kabir chases him, but is arrested by the cops when they find Anna's corpse with all her organs harvested in Kabir's car. Kevin brutally murders Mantoo, claiming all his organs, and becomes the new drug lord. During interrogation, Kabir escapes from the police station. The officers are bewildered by his combat skills and find out he was a former decorated RAW Special Forces soldier, who retired after his pregnant wife Rukshida was killed in stray terrorist gunfire outside a hospital.
Kabir fights with Attila at a nightclub and is shot, but breaks into a medical shop and performs an impromptu surgery. He then continues on his journey. Kabir finds and frees several child slaves in a drug manufacturing plant, and in the process, kills Luke. He tracks down Kevin, who tells that he has had Naomi killed. He shows a container that has what he says are her eyes. Kabir kills all the gang members, including Attila and Kevin. As he prepares to commit suicide out of grief, Naomi emerges. She had been saved by Attila before her eye surgery; he took pity on her because she had been kind to him. The eyes in the container belonged to the gangsters' surgeon, who had been killed by Attila as the latter took to save Naomi. Kabir is arrested, but the officers allow Naomi to ride with him. Kabir asks them to stop at a convenience store, where he buys a backpack and school supplies for Naomi. Kabir asks her if she can manage until he returns, to which she agrees with him and the two embrace.
- John Abraham as Kabir "Rocky" Ahlawat a.k.a. "Handsome", a former RAW agent and Special Force soldier
- Shruti Haasan in a cameo appearance as Rukshida Ahlawat, Kabir's wife
- Nathalia Kaur as Anna
- Nishikant Kamat as Kevin Ferriera
- Diya Chalwad as Naomi, Anna's daughter who bonds with Kabir
- Sharad Kelkar as Anti-Narcotics Bureau ACP Dilip Sangodkar
- Shiv Kumar Subramaniam as ACP Rebello
- Suhasini Mulay as Carla Aunty, a child trafficker
- Teddy Maurya as Luke Ferriera, Kevin's brother
- Kazu Patrick Tang as Attila, Kevin's henchman
- Uday Tikekar as Mantoo
- Sanjay Khapre as Inspector Pitale
- Gurpreet Saini as Viju Dempo, Kevin's man
- Nora Fatehi in a special appearance in the song "Rock Tha Party"
Haasan was cast as Abraham's wife, while seven-year-old Chalwad, who was first seen in Kick, plays an important role. Nathalia Kaur, who was seen in the item number Dan Dan Cheeni in Ram Gopal Varma’s Department, plays the mother of the child. "But the theme of our film is the action. We are getting action directors from abroad—Eastern Asia—for the stunts," said Kheterpal. According to him, the shooting in Hyderabad was for about 45–50 days. While the second schedule was filmed in Goa, the third was in Mumbai.
The film earned ₹70 million (US$880,000) in one day including paid previews in India. The film went down on day two with collections of ₹42.5 million (US$530,000) crore nett. The film earned ₹35.0 million (US$440,000) on third day and the film had a very low weekend of ₹188 million (US$2.4 million) crore nett with ₹19.8 million (US$250,000) crore nett on paid previews. The collections on Monday were low at around ₹20 million (US$250,000) nett. The film grossed ₹210 million (US$2.6 million) in its first week and ₹251 million (US$3.1 million) by the end of its theatrical run.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 February 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music for Rocky Handsome has been composed by Sunny Bawra, Inder Bawra, Ankit Tiwari and Bombay Rockers while the lyrics are penned by Kumaar, Manoj Muntashir, Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay, Sachin Pathak, Sagar Lahauri and Shekhar Astitwa. The album contains a total of 7 tracks. The first song, "Rock Tha Party," was released on 15 February 2016. The soundtrack was released on 22 February 2016 which included 6 songs. Later an unplugged version of Alfazon Ki Tarah was released on 22 March 2016 voiced by Shreya Ghoshal, John Abraham and Ankit Tiwari.
|1.||"Rock Tha Party"||Kumaar||Bombay Rockers||Bombay Rockers||03:31|
|2.||"Rehnuma"||Manoj Muntashir, Sagar Lahauri||Sunny Bawra, Inder Bawra||Shreya Ghoshal, Inder Bawra||04:21|
|3.||"Alfazon Ki Tarah"||Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari||06:21|
|4.||"Aye Khuda"||Sachin Pathak, Shekhar Astitwa||Sunny Bawra, Inder Bawra||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||06:15|
|5.||"Titliyan"||Sagar Lahauri||Sunny Bawra, Inder Bawra||Sunidhi Chauhan||06:02|
|6.||"Aye Khuda" (Duet Version)||Sachin Pathak, Shekhar Astitwa||Sunny Bawra, Inder Bawra||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Shreya Ghoshal||06:15|
|7.||"Alfazon Ki Tarah" (Unplugged)||Abhnendra Kumar Upadhyay||Ankit Tiwari||Shreya Ghoshal, John Abraham, Ankit Tiwari||06:21|
The film has received negative reviews aimed at its execution of story and script, holding a 0% "Rotten" score on aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes. Sonali Kokra of The National (UAE) gave it a 1/5 rating, stating that "With Rocky Handsome, director Nishikant Kamat completes a hat-trick of poorly made remakes that fail spectacularly to do justice to the originals.". Anupama Chopra of The Hindustan Times gave it 2/5 stars, writing, "Not for a minute did I think that [Abraham] couldn't do the things he was doing. The trouble is that what he's doing isn't very interesting – especially if you’ve seen the original film. [...] Way too much time and effort is spent showcasing the leading man – John's body is a no-carb miracle and Kamat fetishises it.".
However, other critics were more appreciative of the film, namely praising its action sequences and Abraham's physicality. Subhash K. Jha rated the film 4/5, writing "It would have to be a toss-up between Shoojit Sircar's excellent political thriller Madras Café and now Nishikant Kamat's Rocky Handsome." Bollywood Hungama rated the film 3.5/5, writing, "On the whole, ROCKY HANDSOME is for people who like action films. Despite the film having a simple plot, it has been garnished with engrossing drama and action stunningly. One can find the right mix of tension, action, emotion under one roof. A well-made action thriller."
- ^ "Rocky Handsome - Movie - Box Office India".
- ^ "Rocky Handsome - Movie - Box Office India".
- ^ Tanwar, Sarita (25 March 2016). "'Rocky Handsome' review: This John Abraham outing is meant for hard-core action fans". Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- ^ "Nathalia Kaur excited to be in John Abraham's 'Rocky Handsome'". Indian Express. 16 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- ^ "Film Rocky Handsome First Look Released". No. inextlive.jagran.com. Inext. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- ^ Satish Sundaresan (2 February 2016). "Exclusive: Nishikant Kamat to play the villain in Rocky Handsome". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- ^ "We will take action to another level in Rocky Handsome". Rediff. 25 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- ^ "John to go the Won Bin way for Rocky Handsome". Indian Express. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome Day One Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 26 March 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome Goes Down Badly On Day Two". Box Office India. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome Very Poor Weekend Kapoor & Sons Holds Well". Box Office India. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome And Batman v Superman Monday Business". Box Office India. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome Flop – Batman v Superman Average". Box Office India. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome – Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- ^ "Check Out : Logo Of John Abraham Starrer Rocky Handsome". Koimoi.com. 4 January 2016. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- ^ "Rocky Handsome (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Ankit Tiwari, Bombay Rockers, Sunny Bawra & Inder Bawra on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- ^ Rocky Handsome, retrieved 16 January 2022
- ^ Film review: Rocky Handsome starts badly and descends into unbearablenes]
- ^ Rocky Handsome review by Anupama Chopra: Not as good as the original
- ^ Rocky Handsome Review: John Abraham’s Pain-Lashed Performance! By Subhash K Jha
- ^ Rocky Handsome Review by Bollywood Hungama News Network
- 2016 action thriller films
- 2016 films
- 2010s Hindi-language films
- Films scored by Ankit Tiwari
- Indian detective films
- Indian action thriller films
- Films about organised crime in India
- Films about organ trafficking
- Films about drugs
- Indian remakes of South Korean films
- Films with screenplays by Ritesh Shah
- Indian pregnancy films
- Films set in Goa
- Films shot at Ramoji Film City
- Films shot in Goa
- Films shot in Mumbai
- Films shot in Hyderabad, India
- Indian films about revenge
- T-Series (company) films
- Films directed by Nishikant Kamat
- Films about the Narcotics Control Bureau