Rocky Hill High School
|Rocky Hill High School|
|50 Chapin Avenue
Rocky Hill, (Hartford County), Connecticut 06067
|School district||Rocky Hill Public Schools|
|Number of students||762 (2014)|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Conference (Nutmeg-Football) until 2009. After 2009, Central Connecticut Conference East (CCC).|
The school was constructed in 1980, and has a rated capacity of 750.
The high school has gone through a renovation for 3 years and is now bigger, and has air conditioning all across the school.
Rocky Hill High School is accredited by the Connecticut State Department of Education and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Several "Early College Experience" classes are offered at RHHS in collaboration with the University of Connecticut.
The core curriculum is composed of English, social studies, math, science, and foreign languages. Many extracurricular classes are available in areas such as technology and art, as well as independent study.
As of May 2009, Rocky Hill High School was coordinating with the Virtual High School program, to help provide students with extra opportunity to take classes on line. These classes are ones generally not offered to students at RHHS, and will count towards minimum required number of credits (22) needed to graduate from Rocky Hill High School.
- In 2005, Principal Robert Pitocco was selected as Connecticut State Principal of the Year.
- In 2006, Assistant Principal Donna Hayward was selected as Connecticut State Assistant Principal of the Year.
In 2011 the New England Association of Schools and Colleges voted to continue Rocky Hill High School's existing accreditation, but put the school on warning due to concerns about the curriculum and facilities. The school's leadership noted that a $39 million upgrade, which would have addressed most of these issues, had been part of a school funding referendum rejected by the voters in June 2010. In January 2012, the outgoing school superintendent warned that the school "will be placed on probation and will lose accreditation if no action is taken."
Rocky Hill High School have various sports which include soccer, football, tennis, indoor/outdoor track, Cross country running, cheerleading, etc. Volleyball is not a sport. Rocky Hill High School are known for reaching the state championship playoffs for their performance in their football team in the years of 2016 and 2017.
- US News 2014
- "UCONN classes at RHHS".
- "LGH Member Update". Leadership Greater Hartford Member Updates. 2005-11-22.
- "RHHS assistant principal likes her students, even when she has to discipline them". MyRockyHill. Archived from the original on 2007-07-11.
- David Drury, "Accreditation Group Warns About Deficiencies At High SchoolAccreditation Group Warns About Deficiencies At High School", Hartford Courant, June 15, 2011.
- "School Officials Start Campaign To Get Approval To Renovate Rocky Hill High School", Hartford Courant, January 31, 2012.