Rocky King Detective
|Rocky King Detective|
Roscoe Karns as Rocky King
|Also known as||''Inside Detective''|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||6|
|Production company(s)||Stark-Layton Production|
|Original network||DuMont Television Network|
|Original release||January 15, 1950 – December 26, 1954|
Rocky King Detective (also known as Inside Detective) is an American action/crime drama series that was broadcast live on the DuMont Television Network on Sundays at 9pm ET. The series ran for six seasons, from January 15, 1950 to December 26, 1954.
Roscoe Karns stars as the title character who is the "chief of homicide" of Manhattan's 24th Precinct. During the first three seasons, Earl Hammond portrayed King's partner, Detective Sgt. Lane. During the final two seasons, Karns' real life son Todd portrayed King's partner Detective Hart. Rounding out the cast was Grace Carney who portrayed King's wife Mabel who is frequently heard but never seen.
The series was broadcast live from DuMont's offices and corridors which served as sets for the series. Despite its low budget and limited nationwide audience (the DuMont network owned a limited amount of stations), Rocky King was DuMont's most popular and long running shows.
The kinescopes for the four episodes released to DVD originate courtesy of Satellite Media Production. These episodes have been screened at the non-profit Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention held annually in Aberdeen, Maryland. The same four episodes were released to DVD on November 21, 2006, altered with a company logo superimposed on the screen and sound effects added to the soundtrack. The Satellite Media Production release contained no alterations.
- List of programs broadcast by the DuMont Television Network
- List of surviving DuMont Television Network broadcasts
- 1951-52 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9pm ET)
- 1952-53 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9pm ET)
- 1953-54 United States network television schedule (Sundays at 9pm ET)
- David Weinstein, The Forgotten Network: DuMont and the Birth of American Television (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2004) ISBN 1-59213-245-6
- Alex McNeil, Total Television, Fourth edition (New York: Penguin Books, 1980) ISBN 0-14-024916-8
- Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network TV Shows, Third edition (New York: Ballantine Books, 1964) ISBN 0-345-31864-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rocky King, Inside Detective.|
- Rocky King Detective at the Internet Movie Database
- DuMont historical website
- Rocky King episode "Murder Scores a Knockout" (1952) legal download at the Internet Archive
- Rocky King episode "Murder PhD" (1953) at Internet Archive
- Rocky King episode "The Hermit's Cat" (1952) at TV4U.com
|This article relating to a drama television series in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|