Rocky River High School (Ohio)
|Rocky River High School|
|20951 Detroit Road
Rocky River, Ohio 44116
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Rocky River City School District|
|Enrollment||850 (2015-2016 School Year)|
|• Grade 9||206|
|• Grade 10||211|
|• Grade 11||178|
|• Grade 12||201|
|Student to teacher ratio||16:1|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White |
|Athletics conference||Great Lakes Conference|
|Sports||Football, Soccer, Hockey, Tennis, Lacrosse, Golf, Basketball, Wrestling|
|Rivals||Fairview Warriors, Bay Rockets|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|National ranking||1,303 (As of 2015-2016 School Year)|
|Newspaper||The Pirate Press|
|Communities served||Rocky River, Parts Of Fairview Park|
As of the 2015-2016 school year, Rocky River High School is ranked 62nd in Ohio, and 1303rd of all the high schools in the United States. 36% of students participate in the Advanced Placement program. Rocky River is also a Blue Ribbon School, an honor it received in 2012.
The school colors are maroon and white. The athletic teams are known as the Pirates. Rocky River High School has been a member of the Great Lakes Conference since the dissolution of the West Shore Conference in 2015. Athletics are the most popular spectator event at Rocky River High School; football draws the largest number of students to the "Pirate Pit" spirit section. RRHSnews, an online publication, covers Rocky River atletics.
- Boys Ice Hockey
The school is widely known for its success in the sport of ice hockey, where they compete in the Greater Cleveland High School Hockey League's Red Division and the OHSAA state tournament. They play their home games at the Hamilton Ice Arena in Rocky River, Ohio. Regularly playing the state's prominent private schools, the Pirate hockey team has earned multiple 25-win seasons, Baron Cup II championships, and sent many players to juniors teams. They have won the Brooklyn District of the state tournament twice and played in the OHSAA state "Frozen Four" in Columbus, Ohio, losing both times. Coach Chris Cogan has over 100 wins in his short tenure as head coach. Their student section is known as the "Pirate Pit" and was voted "Most Spirited" by the Cleveland Plain Dealer for the 2012-2013 season..
- Boys Lacrosse
The school also enjoys success with the sport of lacrosse, where in 2012 and 2013, they were state runners-up. They play their home games at Rocky River High School Stadium. Nearly ten Rocky River lacrosse alumni have moved on to play in college. The head coach is Ted Dimond, whose assistants are Jack and Ryan Donnelly. The head JV Coach is Brian Hare.
- Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Male: 51%
- Female: 49%
- White, non-Hispanic: 91.4%
- Hispanic: 3.7%
- Multiracial: 2.0%
- Asian or Pacific Islander: 1.7%
- Black, non-Hispanic: <1%
- American Indian or Alaska Native: N/A
- Economically disadvantaged: 12.0%
- Students with disabilities: 6.9%
- Limited English proficient: 1.6%
- Nina Blackwood (Class of 1970), former MTV VJ and current SiriusXM Satellite Radio host on the 80s on 8 channel 
- Nev Chandler, media personality and former radio voice of the Cleveland Browns
- "Swingin'" Sammy Kaye, Big Band leader
- Martin Savidge (Class of 1976), former CNN reporter and current NBC News reporter
- Michael Stanley of the Michael Stanley Band
- Jann Klose pop singer songwriter, as an exchange student from Germany 
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on September 23, 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- US News and World Report Education Rankings, Retrieved December 16, 2015
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.
- OH Department of Education, 2014-2015
- Petkovic, John (July 30, 2011) "At 30, MTV looks nothing like the video channel that roared", The Plain Dealer
- Bona, Marc (February 12, 2012) "Sammy Kaye: Your 2 p.m. Buckeye Bits A&E trivia", The Plain Dealer
- Washington, Julie (September 10, 2008) "Former Clevelander Martin Savidge talks about move to PBS", The Plain Dealer
- Yarborough, Chuck (August 18, 2014) "Michael Stanley to be honored with tribute concert featuring fans and peers", The Plain Dealer
- McQuiston, James (April 9, 2008) "Jann Klose to perform three area shows", Neufutur Magazine