Rocori High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|ROCORI High School|
|Cold Spring, Minnesota
United States of America
ROCORI High School is a high school that serves three Minnesota towns, whose names form the acronym "ROCORI": Rockville, Cold Spring, and Richmond. The school is located in Cold Spring, Minnesota about twenty miles southwest of St. Cloud. The school received its greatest media attention for a school shooting that left two students dead. It is also noted for having the first winter drumline/indoor percussion ensemble in history.
ROCORI High School shooting
A school shooting occurred at ROCORI High School on September 24, 2003. The shooting was perpetrated by 15 year-old John Jason McLaughlin who murdered students Seth Bartell and Aaron Rollins.
The Spartan boys basketball team has made it to the state tournament 13 times in the school's 40-plus years of existence, winning it in 1988, placing second in 1999, and placing third in 1979, 1992 & 2007. Former head coach Bob Brink recently became the second coach in Minnesota State High School League history to win 900 games in any sport, second only to Bob McDonald of Chisholm. Notable players for the Spartans were: Jason Kron (St. Cloud State), Justin Stommes (Eastern Kentucky).
The Spartans baseball team has also made the state tournament 7 times, winning it in 1992 and 2010, finishing as runner-up in 1991 and 2013, and taking the consolation championship in 2007. Notable baseball players for the Spartans include: Dave Oerhlein, Steve Huls (drafted by the Minnesota Twins), Jon Dold (drafted by the Cincinnati Reds), Eric Decker (drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008 and the Minnesota Twins in 2009), and Austin Athmann (drafted by the Detroit Tigers in 2016).
The Spartan football team won their first state championship in 2011, beating Bemidji 17-10 to take Class AAAA. Notable football players for the Spartans include NFL players Rick Bell '79 - MN Vikings (St.Johns) & Eric Decker '05 - Denver Broncos & NY Jets (MN Gophers) 
The ROCORI dance team has also made it to state in 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, and 2016 after being created in 2008.
- Eric Decker, NFL wide receiver for the New York Jets, former baseball outfielder and football wide receiver for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, he had been drafted in the Major League Baseball Draft twice.
- Dan Brisse, Professional snowboarder, 2011 and 2012 X Games 'Real Snow' Gold Medalist.
- Teen convicted of murder in Rocori High School shootings July 18, 2005
- "Four Gophers from 2016 Selected in MLB Draft". www.gophersports.com. Retrieved 2016-06-13.
- "Champs: Rocori wins its first state football title". St. Cloud Times. 2011-11-26.
- "Best of Real Snow: Brisse, 2011 Gold". X Games. Retrieved 2016-02-25.
- "Best of Real Snow: Dan Brisse, 2012 Gold". X Games. Retrieved 2016-02-25.