Joseph Rodney "Rod" Canion (born January 19, 1945) is an American computer scientist and businessman. Canion is a co-founder of Compaq Computer Corporation where he served as its first President and CEO.
A native of Houston, Canion graduated from the University of Houston in 1966 and 1968 with bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering with an emphasis on computer science. Before co-founding Compaq in 1982, Canion, Harris, and Murto had been senior managers at Texas Instruments. The three co-founders received backing from venture capitalist Benjamin M. Rosen, who became chairman of the board of Compaq.
During Canion's tenure as Compaq's CEO, the company set records for the largest first-year sales in the history of American business and reached the Fortune 500 and the $1 billion revenue mark faster than any other company in history. Canion was a shy man so he took lessons to polish his speaking style at the request of Ben Rosen, Compaq's chairman.
In 1992, Canion founded Insource Technology Group with Jim Harris and Ronald L. Fischer and served as its chairman until September 2006. In 1999, he led the initial investment round for Questia Media, Inc., which provides an online research library. He became chairman of the board and later helped the company raise $150 million. He is a member of the Board of Directors of AMVESCAP, BlueArc, and Young Life, and HealthLink, is Director Emeritus of the Houston Technology Center, and is a member of the Board of Advisors for Sternhill Partners.
- (Joseph) Rod Canion - Compaq, Ibm, Corp, and Million
- O'Reilly, Brian. (1985-02-18) COMPAQ'S GRIP ON IBM'S SLIPPERY TAIL Up against No. 1, the three-year-old upstart had 1984 sales of about $325 million. So far President Rod Canion hasn't made a serious mistake, but nobody's perfect. - February 18, 1985. Money.cnn.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-17.
- Board of Directors | | About ChaChaAbout ChaCha
- Reinventing Compaq: Tasks for Next Chief - New York Times
- Ben Rosen: The Lion in Winter. Businessweek.com (1999-07-26). Retrieved on 2013-07-17.
- Invesco Global | Board of Directors
- Questia Online Library
- [dead link]
- HTC - Executive Board of Directors - Houston Technology Center
- Healthlink Incorporated Appoints Joseph E. Boyd to Board of Directors. - Free Online Library