Fanni in 2010
|Full name||Rod Fanni|
|Date of birth||6 December 1981|
|Place of birth||Martigues, France|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|2004–2005||→ Châteauroux (loan)||34||(1)|
|2016||→ Charlton Athletic (loan)||14||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 September 2015.
Fanni's family originates from Benin. He began his football career whilst pursuing his studies, earning a BEP (French secondary school diploma) and then going on to study for a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Science and Technology.
Fanni began his career with FC Martigues, playing in both Ligue 2 and the Championnat National. He joined RC Lens in 2002 where he made his debut in Ligue 1, as well as both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Cup. He played the entire 2004–05 season on loan at Châteauroux in Ligue 2.
In June 2005 he joined Nice but left after only two seasons to sign a four-year contract with Rennes, where he was viewed as a replacement for Dutch defender Mario Melchiot, who had departed for Premier League club Wigan Athletic. Fanni was named in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year for the 2008–09 season. He has expressed a desire to play in the Premier League and was strongly linked with a move to Newcastle United before signing for Rennes. He was also linked with Everton and West Ham United prior to signing a one year contract extension with Rennes in November 2009, which kept Fanni tied to Les Rouges et Noirs until June 2012.
In December 2010, Marseille successfully acquired the services of Fanni.
Fanni made his debut for the French national team against Tunisia on 14 October 2008 in a 3–1 victory. Despite stiff competition from players such as Bacary Sagna and François Clerc, Fanni was named regularly in Raymond Domenech's squad as second choice right back behind Sagna.
- UNFP Team of the Year: 2008–09, 2009–10
- Fanni keen on England move Sky Sports 12 December 2008
- Everton trail defender Sky Sports 6 October 2009
- Hammers keen on Frenchman Sky Sports 4 June 2009
- "Officiel: Accord de principe trouvé pour Fanni!". Olympique de Marseille. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- "Al Arabi Sign French Defender Rod Fanni from Marseille". Qatar News Agency. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "DONE DEAL Charlton secure Rod Fanni on loan". Charlton Athletic. 1 February 2016.