|Born||29 October 1972(age 48)|
Rodion Mykhailovych Luka (Ukrainian: Родіон Михайлович Лука; born 29 October 1972) is a Ukrainian — the Ukrainian yachtsman, Merited Sports Master, silver medallist of the Olympic Games 2004, Class 49er World Champion 2005, European Champion, Sportsman 2005 in Ukraine. In August 2015 Rodion Luka was elected as the President of the Sailing Federation of Ukraine.
Rodion Luka was born on 29 October 1972 in the family of engineers. He went to the Vyshhorod (Ukraine, Kyiv region) secondary school. When he was 11, he quit playing the piano at the music school and took to sailing. He gained his first experience in this field during practice sessions at the Kyiv Reservoir. In 1985, Rodion Luka bore the bell in sailing – he won the USSR (Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic) “Republican Regatta” and started preparing for the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) Youth Championship. In 1988, he won all the youth competitions, including the Ukrainian Championship and USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics) Championship. Henceforward, Rodion Luka starts going in for sailing professionally.
1995 – graduated from National University of Physical Education and Sports of Ukraine specializing in “Professional and Olympic Sports Management”. 1999 – graduated from Kyiv State Maritime Academy with the specialization “Navigator, Ship Driver”.
Rodion Luka obtained his first international prize in 1993. He became the gold medallist in the Warnemünde Laser-Radial-Class Regatta, and bronze medallist in the European Championship in Sardinia (Italy).
- In 1994, the sportsman captured silver of the European Championship in England and World Championship in Japan.
- In 1996, Rodion Luka represents Ukraine in the Laser-Class Olympic Games.
- Next year, he starts the Olympic Sydney 2000 49er-Class Campaign together with Georgiy Leonchuk.
- In 1999, Rodion Luka obtains a license to compete in the Olympics 2000, where he ranks the tenth. Coincidently, he takes the title of the Champion of Australia and wins the bronze in the 49er-Class European Championship.
- In 2000s, Rodion Luka made the greatest professional breakthrough in yachting sport. He and his team headed the list in the ISAF (International Sailing Federation) World Ranking (2002-2003), won the 49er-class championship and took the lead in the world ranking (2005).
- In 2005, Rodion Luka obtains the title of the Sportsman of the Year in Ukraine according to the National Olympic Committee.
- In 2008, he becomes a bronze medallist of the European and World Championships, and in 2012 – SB20-Class Champion of England, Russia and Europe.
Volvo Ocean Race
In 2008-2009, Rodion Luka is the only Ukrainian who competed in the most prestigious Volvo Ocean Race global sailing regatta on the “Kasatka (Killer Whale)” yacht as a steersman. Volvo Ocean Race makes the list of five most significant competitions of yachtsmen worldwide.
Coaching and Training
- In 2012-2013, Rodion Luka works as the RC44-class coacher.
- In 2012, he establishes the yachting school – KievRacingYachtClub. The Club created the conditions for yachting for the people who have neither time, nor money to buy and maintain own yachts. The Club organizes amateur regattas; the Club teams continuously participate in international competitions.
Married. Wife – Anastasiia, children: Kyrylo and Sofiia.
- World Championships
- 1997 - Perth, 32nd, 49er
- 1998 - Bandol, 14th, 49er
- 1999 - Melbourne, 15th, 49er
- 2001 - Malcesine, 3rd, 49er
- 2002 - Hawaii, 5th, 49er
- 2003 - Cadiz, 3rd, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- 2004 - Athens, 14th, 49er
- 2005 - Moscow, 1st, 49er
- 2006 - Aix-les-Bains, 9th, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- 2007 - Cascais, 14th, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- 2008 - Sorrento, 3rd, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- Summer Olympics
- 1996 - Atlanta, 35th, Laser
- 2000 - Sydney, 10th, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- 2004 - Athens, 2nd, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- European Championships
- 1996 - Quiberon, 21st, Laser
- 1998 - Helsinki, 18th, 49er
- 2000 - Medemblik, 3rd, 49er
- 2001 - Brest, 4th, 49er
- 2002 - Grimstad, 8th, 49er
- 2003 - Laredo, 9th, 49er
- 2004 - Torbole sul Garda, 16th, 49er
- 2005 - Vallensbaek, 10th, 49er
- 2006 - Weymouth, 10th, 49er
- 2007 - Marsala, 13th, 49er (with George Leonchuk)
- Other achievements
- 2000 - Kiel, Kieler Woche, 2nd, 49er
- 2001 - Medemblik, SPA Regatta, 1st, 49er
- 2001 - Kiel, Kieler Woche, 2nd, 49er
- 2002 - Medemblik, SPA Regatta, 2nd, 49er
- 2003 - Hyères, Semaine Olympique Française, 1st, 49er
- 2003 - Medemblik, SPA Regatta, 3rd, 49er
- 2005 - Miami, Rolex Miami OCR, 2nd, 49er
- 2006 - Miami, Rolex Miami OCR, 3rd, 49er
- 2006 - Miami, North American Championships, 3rd, 49er