Rodnay Zaks (born 10 February 1946, Paris) is a French-born American author of many books on computer programming, including the seminal Programming the Z80 and Programming the 6502. He is the founder of independent computer books publisher Sybex and was its president and CEO until it was bought out by John Wiley and Sons in May 2005.
Zaks has an engineering degree from the École Centrale Paris and a Master's degree from the University of California, Berkeley, where he also was the third person to receive a Ph.D. from the then new Computer Science department. He started a career in training engineers and managers in the then new microprocessor technology and subsequently founded Sybex in 1976.
An early publication of Zaks' from Sybex was A microprogrammed APL implementation which is the complete, total source listing for the microcode for a Digital Scientific Corporation Meta 4 microprogrammable processor implementing the APL programming language.
- "Microprogrammed APL," R.Zaks, Fifth IEEE Computer Conference Proceedings, Sep. 1971 p 193.
- "A Microprogrammed APL Implementation," R. Zaks Ph. D. Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, June 1972.
- "A Firmware APL Time Sharing System", R. Zaks D. Steingart, J. Moore, SJCC 71, AFIPS Proceedings, Vol. 38, AFIPS Press, May 1971, pp 179–180.
- "Second Euromicro Symposium on Microprocessing and Microprogramming, October 12–14, 1976, Venice : [papers] / " Euromicro Symposium on Microprocessing and Microprogramming (2nd : 1976 : Venice, Italy) | 1977. | text
- "Microcomputer architectures: Third EUROMICRO Symposium on Microprocessing and Microprogramming, October 3–6, 1977, Amsterdam : preprints / " Euromicro Symposium on Microprocessing and Microprogramming (3rd : 1977 : Amsterdam, Netherlands) | 1977. | text
- "Workshop on the microarchitecture of computer systems, June 23–25, 1975, Nice / " Workshop on the Microarchitecture of Computer Systems, Nice, 1975. | 1975. | text
- Programming the Z80, 1980. ISBN 0-89588-094-6. | download