Rodney Barnes is an award-winning television Writer and Executive Producer, currently in development on an untitled drama for HBO with rapper-actor Snoop Dogg and director-producer Allen Hughes (Broken City, Gang Related).
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Rodney Barnes was born September 19 in Annapolis, Maryland. During his childhood he quickly gravitated to comic books, primarily superhero style, horror and science fiction. He attended Howard University in Washington, DC. In 1995, Barnes decided to move to Los Angeles to pursue his dream of screenwriting.
After completing 4 seasons of the critically acclaimed animated comedy The Boondocks, where he served as executive producer and head writer from 2005-2014, Rodney is currently developing the animated series 'Vandaveon and Mike' based on characters created by and starring Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele on Key & Peele (Comedy Central). Rodney is also in development on "Killogy", a graphic novel series from creator Alan Robert. Recently, Rodney wrote material for Chris Rock as he hosted the 88th Annual Academy Awards in 2016. 
Rodney was a co-executive producer of Chris Rock’s TV series Everybody Hates Chris as well as writing for the series from 2005-2009. He was a Television producer and writer for Damon Wayans My Wife and Kids 2002-2005. He was the co-executive producer of ’Til Death in 2010 and a consulting producer of Brothers in 2009, and is to rewrite "Any Means Necessary" from Producer (film) Neal Moritz (Sony Pictures Entertainment).
He is also the co-founder of Dark Apocrypha Productions, a traditional production house based in Los Angeles, that creates both traditional and branded content projects. Formerly, he was a columnist for the Huffington Post.
Barnes has been nominated for a BET Comedy Award, NAACP Image Award and a Writers Guild of America Award. He has received the American Film Institute Award in 2007 for Everybody Hates Chris and a Peabody Award for the "The Return of the King" episode of The Boondocks.
- List of Everybody Hates Chris episodes
- List of The Boondocks episodes
- List of My Wife and Kids episodes
- "Show pokes at would-be censors". Chicago Tribune. 8 October 2007.
- "Rodney Barnes IMDB".
- Keegan-Michael Key
- Jordan Peele
- Key & Peele
- Comedy Central
- Alan Robert
- Neal Moritz
- "Dark Apocrypha Productions". Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- "Rodney Barnes' Huffington Post Column". Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "NAACP Image Awards".
- "Peabody Award Recipient". Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- Comedy Central Expands 'Key & Peele,' Develops Animated Spinoff Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- ‘The Boondocks’ Rodney Barnes Developing ‘Killogy’ Animated Series Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- ‘Boondocks’ Rodney Barnes To Rewrite Marlon Wayans, Mike Epps Buddy Actioner ‘Any Means Necessary’ For Sony Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Snoop Dogg & Allen Hughes Team For 1980s Family Drama At HBO Retrieved March 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rodney Barnes.|