This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rodney Simon Berman OBE is a Liberal Democrat politician, currently a councillor for the Penylan ward of Cardiff. He was formerly a councillor for Plasnewydd ward, and was also leader of Cardiff Council between 2004 and 2012.
Berman stood for election to Parliament as Welsh Liberal Democrat candidate for Cardiff South and Penarth in 2001, and Rhondda in 1997, coming third on each occasion. His agent for the Rhondda seat was Professor Russell Deacon. Berman was the last Liberal Democrat to secure their electoral deposit there until the general election of 2010.
In 2006, Berman was the first winner of the Local Politician of the Year award.
The local elections of 2008 saw the Liberal Democrats under Berman's leadership increase their representation, winning new seats in the east (Trowbridge), west (Llandaff) and south of the city (Butetown). Under Berman's leadership, the Liberal Democrats gained their largest representation in Cardiff for over a century.
He was re-elected as a councillor in May, 2017.
- "Rodney Berman: Electoral history and profile". icWales. London: Western Mail and Echo Ltd. 14 August 2006. Retrieved 25 August 2006.
- "Hain wins top title for work in Wales and N Ireland". Western Mail. Media Wales. 30 November 2006. Retrieved 28 April 2012.
- "Cardiff council's Rodney Berman toppled in cull of leaders". BBC News. 4 May 2012.
- "No. 60367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 December 2012. p. 9.
- Nifield, Philip. "Partnership ceremony for Berman and partner". South Wales Echo. Media Wales. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "It's just not cricket" - The Western Mail
- "‘Cardiff residents should get to vote for a mayor’" - Wales Online
- "Directly-elected mayor would have too much power, says Rodney Berman" - Wales Online
- "Cardiff council hits back at rubbish collection complaints" - Wales Online
- "Concern over city school shake-up" - BBC News
- "Cardiff 'behind' in culture city race" - BBC News
- "Council to reveal school closures" - BBC News