12 June 1961 |
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
|Website||Revival Ministries International|
Rodney Howard-Browne is a charismatic Christian preacher and evangelist. He is pastor of The River at Tampa Bay, a church which he and his wife founded in 1996, and heads Revival Ministries International. He was born in South Africa and has resided in Tampa, Florida, USA since the mid-1990s.
According to Christianity Today, Browne's ministry is known for its passion for evangelism and ministries of restoration, accompanied by "signs and wonders" characterized by baptism of the Holy Spirit and Fire, physical healings and miracles, with frequent manifestations of laughing and "falling under the power" during his evangelistic services. This gave rise to the term "holy laughter", and "holy ghost bartender", which refer to audience members spontaneously laughing loudly during his services. In 1999, in upstate New York, revivals "broke out" in church meetings that Howard-Browne was leading or attending. He held a long term revival at the Carpenter's Home Church in Lakeland, Florida and was subsequently linked to the Toronto Blessing. The manifestations at the Toronto Revival became so contentious that the Vineyard Association of Churches severed ties with the Toronto church.
Howard-Browne serves as the pastor of a church in Tampa, Florida, which he founded in 1996. Rodney and his wife Adonica also founded Revival Ministries International in 1997 and currently are the acting Presidents of the River Bible Institute and the River School of Worship.
- Ravitz, Jessica. "Up for Godly giddiness: Pastor spreads the joy of salvation 'anywhere the Lord opens a door.'" The Salt Lake Tribune, March 22, 2007
- "Profile: Evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne." Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly, PBS, August 20, 1999
- Carnes, Tony. "Howard-Browne Takes New York." Christianity Today, August 9, 1999
- Bearden, Michelle. "The Holy Ghost Bartender." The Tampa Tribune, June 28, 1999
- Christ Church, Virginia Water, UK
- Beverley, James A (Jun 27, 1995). Holy Laughter and the Toronto Blessing: An Investigative Report. Zondervan,.
- Graham, Kevin. "Church's Hummer prize too worldly?" St. Petersburg Times, January 10, 2005
- Howard-Browne, Rodney "The Vision of the President" Revival.com