Rodney Clive Matthews|
6 July 1945
Paulton, North Somerset, England, United Kingdom
|Known for||Painting, Drawing, Conceptual Design|
|Movement||Fantasy art, Science Fiction, Surrealism|
Rodney Matthews is a British illustrator and conceptual designer of fantasy and science fiction.
Matthews has painted over 130 subjects for record album covers, for many rock and progressive rock bands. More than 90 of his pictures have been published worldwide, selling in poster format, as well as many international editions of calendars, jigsaw puzzles, postcards, notecards, snowboards and T-shirts. His originals have been exhibited throughout the UK and Europe. He was a regular exhibitor at the Chris Beetles Gallery, in London's West End, where he met English comedian, actor, writer and producer John Cleese.
Matthews has illustrated numerous books, including those by English fantasy and science fiction author Michael Moorcock. Their collaboration in the 1970s resulted in a series of 12 large posters, depicting scenes from Moorcock’s ‘Eternal Champion’ series. These images were also used for a 1978 calendar entitled ‘Wizardry and Wild Romance’.
In 1998, Matthews and the late Gerry Anderson completed Lavender Castle, a children's animation series. It was produced at Cosgrove Hall Films in Manchester, England and purchased by ITV for the UK. Matthews has also contributed concept designs for the 2005 movie 'The Magic Roundabout'.
He supplied conceptual designs for computer games such as the Sony/Psygnosis game Shadow Master and Haven: Call of the King, published by Midway. Matthews has produced some publicity and a logo for the UK’s pioneering green energy company Ecotricity.
He has also written lyrics and played drums on a music album influenced by his images; American guitarist Jeff Scheetz, John Payne (Asia) on bass guitar, Oliver Wakeman (Yes) on keyboards and Pete Coleman (composer and multi-instrumentalist).
Album Covers (including EPs, LPs and DVDs):
- 1965, Pentworth's People, Demo Cover
- 1969, Thin Lizzy, New Day (EP)
- 1971, Fred Wedlock, The Folker
- 1971, Ian A. Anderson, A Vulture Is Not A Bird You Can Trust
- 1971, Pigsty Hill Light Orchestra, Piggery Jokery
- 1971, Various Artists, The Great White Dap (EP)
- 1972, Amon Düül II, Live In London
- 1972, Dave Evans, Elephantasia
- 1972, Hillbilly Jazz, Vol. 1
- 1972, Hillbilly Jazz, Vol. 2
- 1972, Hunt & Turner, Magic Landscape
- 1972, Ian A. Anderson, Singer Sleeps On As Blaze Rages
- 1972, Various Artists (Feat. Little Richard, Sam Cooke and more), This Is How It all Began
- 1973, Al Jones, Jonesville
- 1973, Art Rosenbaum, Five String Banjo
- 1973, Bola Sete, Ocean
- 1973, Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters, Ejection (EP)
- 1973, Dave Carlsen (Feat. Noel Redding, Keith Moon & Spencer Davis), Pale Horse
- 1973, David Stone & Allan Schiller, Delius
- 1973, Fred Wedlock, Frollicks
- 1973, Hamish Imlach, All Round Entertainer
- 1973, Stefan Grossman, Aunt Molly's Murray Farm
- 1973, Stefan Grossman, Contemporary Ragtime Guitar
- 1973, The Dartington String Quartet, Shostakovich
- 1974, Brinsley Schwarz, Golden Greats
- 1974, Geoffrey Woodruff, Live (6" LP)
- 1974, Old Pete, Old Pete (6" LP)
- 1974, Old Pete, Old Pete's Christmas Story (6" LP)
- 1974, Various Artists, Some People Play Guitar Like A Lotta People Don't!
- 1975, Halfbreed, Halfbreed
- 1976, 20th Century Steel Band, Yellow Bird Is Dead
- 1977, Bo Hansson, Music Inspired by Lord of the Rings
- 1979, Nazareth, May The Sun Shine (Single)
- 1979, Nazareth, No Mean City
- 1980, Magnum, Chase the Dragon
- 1980, Praying Mantis, Praying Mantis (Single)
- 1980, Praying Mantis, Time Tells No Lies
- 1981, Praying Mantis, Cheated (EP)
- 1981, Tygers of Pan Tang, Crazy Nights
- 1982, Bitches Sin, Predator
- 1982, Diamond Head, Borrowed Time
- 1982, Eloy, Planets
- 1982, Eloy, Time to Turn
- 1982, Scorpions, Lonesome Crow
- 1983, Magnum, The Eleventh Hour
- 1984, Eloy, Metromania
- 1984, Tigermoth, Tigermoth
- 1985, Magnum, On a Storyteller's Night
- 1986, Motherlode, The Sanctuary
- 1987, Diamond Head, Am I Evil
- 1987, Magnum, Mirador
- 1988, Magnum, Kingdom of Madness
- 1988, Magnum, Magnum II
- 1988, Tigermoth, Howling Moth
- 1989, Full Moon, Full Moon
- 1989, Magnum, Foundation
- 1990, Detritus, Perpetual Defiance
- 1990, Seventh Angel, The Torment
- 1991, Praying Mantis, Predator In Disguise
- 1991, Rick Wakeman, 2000 A.D. Into The Future
- 1991, Seventh Angel, Lament for the Weary
- 1991, White Metal Warriors, Last Ship Home
- 1992, Asia, Aqua
- 1992, Asia, Who Will Stop The Rain? (Single)
- 1992, Magnum, Only In America (Single)
- 1992, Magnum, Sleepwalking
- 1992, Rudi Dobson & Rodney Matthews, The House On The Rock
- 1992, Veni Domine, Fall Babylon Fall
- 1993, Barclay James Harvest, Caught In The Light
- 1993, Gethsemane Rose, Tattered 'N' Torn
- 1993, Magnum, Archive
- 1993, Magnum, Keeping the Nite Light Burning
- 1993, Stairway, No Rest: No Mercy
- 1994, Rodd & Marco, Jurassic Church
- 1994, Veni Domine, Material Sanctuary
- 1995, Asia, Arena
- 1995, Rick Wakeman, The New Gospels
- 1995, Tradia, Welcome to Paradise
- 1996, Asia, Archiva Vol. 1
- 1996, Asia, Archiva Vol. 2
- 1996, Crucifer, Hellbound Angel
- 1997, Magnum, Stronghold
- 1999, Oliver Wakeman & Clive Nolan, Jabberwocky
- 2000, Doug King, The Snugldorfs
- 2003, Asia, Different Worlds Live
- 2003, Asia, Live In Moscow (DVD)
- 2003, Barclay James Harvest, 25th Anniversary Concert (DVD)
- 2003, Hawkwind, Welcome To The Future (2CD/DVD Box)
- 2003, Magnum, A Winter's Tale (DVD)
- 2003, Squidd, Twice Upon A Time (3 Track CD)
- 2003, Steve Hackett, Horizons (DVD)
- 2003, Uriah Heep, Live In The USA (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Fairport Convention, Lindisfarne, The Strawbs and more), Folk Rock Anthology (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Saxon and more), Hard Rock Anthology (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Keith Emerson, Jon Lord, Rick Wakeman and more), Keyboard Wizards (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Lynard Skynard, Free, Asia, Magnum and more), Rock Anthems (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Mick Box, Steve Howe, Jan Akkerman, Toni Iommi and more), The Guitar Wizards: Presented By Mick Box (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Uriah Heep, Asia, Nektar and more), The International Classic Rock Festival (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Focus, Rick Wakeman and more), The Progressive Rock Anthology (DVD)
- 2003, Various Artists (Feat. Caravan, Curved Air, Family and more), The Underground Anthology (DVD)
- 2004, John Lawton Band, Shakin' The Tale (CD/DVD)
- 2004, Uriah Heep, Magic Night (CD/DVD)
- 2005, Russell Allen & Jørn Lande, The Battle
- 2006, Nazareth, The Very Best of Nazareth
- 2007, Magnum, Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow
- 2007, Russell Allen & Jørn Lande, The Revenge
- 2007, Stormzone, Caught In The Act
- 2008, Bob Catley, Immortal
- 2008, Hawkwind, Out Of The Shadows (CD/DVD)
- 2008, Jeff Scheetz, Behind The Mask
- 2008, Magnum, Wings of Heaven Live
- 2008, V-Rats, Intelligent Design
- 2009, Magnum, Into the Valley of the Moon King
- 2009, Roxxcalibur, NWOBHM For Muthas
- 2010, Magnum, The Gathering
- 2010, Russell Allen & Jørn Lande, The Showdown
- 2010, Stairway, Interregnum
- 2011, Atkins May Project, Serpent's Kiss
- 2011, Magnum, The Visitation
- 2011, Roxxcalibur, Lords Of The NWOBHM
- 2012, Atkins May Project, Valley of Shadows
- 2012, Frog Riders, Utterly Spontaneous
- 2012, Geoff Whitely Project, Confidential Whispers
- 2012, Magnum, On the 13th Day
- 2012, Tygers of Pan Tang, Ambush
- 2013, Avantasia, The Mystery of Time
- 2013, Geoff Whitely Project, Yetoto
- 2014, Atkins May Project, Empire of Destruction
- 2014, Jeff Scheetz, Rodney Matthews & Friends (John Payne, Oliver Wakeman, Bob Catley & Pete Coleman), I Saw Three Ships (Single)
- 2014, Magnum, Escape from the Shadow Garden
- 2014, Rick Wakeman, Fields of Green
- 2015, Nazareth, No Means Of Escape
- 2015, Praying Mantis, Legacy
- 2015, Starquake, Times That Matter
- 2016, Magnum, Sacred Blood "Divine" Lies
- 2016, Seeing Red, Keep the Fire Burning
- 2016, The Rolling Stones, Another Time, Another Place
- 2017, The Rolling Stones, Time on Our Side
- 2017, The Rolling Stones, Painted Black
- 1985, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, In Search of Forever, Dragon’s World (n.b. there is also a Japanese edition).
- 1989, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, Last Ship Home, Dragon's World.
- 1990, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, Voyages Extrêmes, Vents d'Ouest (n.b. this is the French edition of Last Ship Home).
- 1997, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, Countdown to Millennium, Collins & Brown.
- 1990, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, The Rodney Matthews Portfolio, Dragon's World.
- 1993, Rodney Matthews & Pauline Fisk, The 2nd Rodney Matthews Portfolio, Dragon's World.
- 1994, Rodney Matthews & Nigel Suckling, Rodney Matthews (Paper Tiger Miniatures), Paper Tiger.
- 1974, The Blue Planet Series: Book 1: Blast Off!, Childs Play (International) Ltd.
- 1974, The Blue Planet Series: Book 2: The Journey, Childs Play (International) Ltd.
- 1974, The Blue Planet Series: Book 3: On the Planet, Childs Play (International) Ltd.
- 1974, The Blue Planet Series: Book 4: Back to Earth, Childs Play (International) Ltd.
- 1978, Rodney Matthews & Graham Smith, Yendor: The Journey of a Junior Adventurer, Big O Publishing.
- 1980, Michael Moorcock, Stormbringer, United States: Archival Press.
- 1986, Cheryl Evans & Anne Millard, Usborne Illustrated Guide to Norse Myths and Legends, Usborne.
- 1987, Cheryl Evans & Anne Millard, Usborne Illustrated Guide to Greek Myths and Legends, Usborne.
- 1987, Cheryl Evans & Anne Millard, The Usborne Book of Greek and Norse Legends, Usborne.
- 1987, Michael Moorcock: A Collaboration with Rodney Matthews, Elric at the End of Time, Dragon's World.
- 1994, Felicity Brooks, Tales of King Arthur, Usborne.
- 1998, Felicity Brooks, Tales of King Arthur & His Knights, Usborne.
- 1999, Doug King & Rodney Matthews, The Snugldorfs – Smile God Loves You! United States: Cepher.
- 2008, Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland, Templar (foreword by John Cleese).
- 2010, Rodney Matthews & Marco Palmer, The Fantastic Intergalactic Adventures of Stanley & Livingston, Rodney Matthews Studios.
- 1990, The Paradise War, Lion Books.
- 1991, The Silver Hand, Lion Books.
- 1992, The Endless Knot, Lion Books.
- 1976, Legends From the End of Time, W.H. Allen (image: Mongrove).
- 1976, The End of All Songs, Granada/Mayflower (image: Lord Jagged of Canaria).
- 1976, The Transformation of Miss Mavis Ming, W.H. Allen (image: The Return of the Fireclown).
- 1979, The Bull & The Spear, Granada (image: The Hound Master of Kerenos).
- 1979, The Knight of the Swords, Granada (image: In the Flamelands).
- 1977, Spell of the Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1977, Three Against the Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1977, Web of the Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1977, Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1978, Sorceress of the Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1978, The Year of the Unicorn, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1978, Trey of Swords, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1978, Warlock of the Witch World, Wyndham/Universal.
- 1976, Other Dimensions: Volume 1, Panther/Granada (image: Venus Cruiser).
- 1976, Other Dimensions: Volume 2, Panther/Granada (image: The Ghoul).
- 1977, Michael Moorcock (Editor), England Invaded: A Collection of Fantasy Fiction, W.H. Allen (image: The Monster of Lake La Metrie).
- 1978, John Crowley, Beasts, Orbit/Futura (image: The Old Shot Tower).
- 1978, Patricia A. McKillip, The Forgotten Beasts of Eld, New York: Avon Books.
- 1978, Josef Nesvabda, In the Footsteps of the Abominable Snowman, New English Library.
- 1979, Robert Lynn Asprin, The Bug Wars, New English Library.
- 1985, Andrew Chapman, Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone Present: Seas of Blood (Fighting Fantasy), Puffin Books.
- 1986, Joseph O'Neill, Land Under England, Penguin Books (image: Beneath the Wall).
- 1987, Worlds Without Words (Educational Resources), 4mation.
- 1988, Jack Vance, Green Magic: The Fantasy Realms of Jack Vance, Tor (image: The Last Armada).
- 1988, Jack Vance, Grüne Magie, Heyne (image: Tiger Moth).
- 1992, Colin Duriez, The Tolkien and Middle-Earth Handbook, Monarch.
- 1992, Naomi Starkey, Ends of the Earth, Minstrel/Kingsway.
- 2009, Mark Jones, Bristol Folk, BFP (Matthews contributed a written piece and the book includes many of his images)
- 2010, George Russell, Where the Bugs Wear Boots, George Russell Associates.
- Vol. 1 No. 1, January 1977: Vortex, 1976.
- Vol. 1 No. 2, February 1977: Space Hijak, 1976.
- Vol. 1 No. 3, March 1977: Out of an Amber Sky, 1976.
- Commissioned, but unused: Metropolis Trap, 1977.
- Commissioned, but unused: The Crab, 1977.
- No. 1, April 1983: Elric and Moonglum, 1976.
- No. 9, December 1983: Imagine, 1982.
- No. 12, March 1984: The Guardian Awakes, 1982.
- No. 22, January 1985: Earl Aubec of Malador, 1984.
- Issue and date unknown: Araneida the Destroyer, 1983.
- Sales leaflet cover: Who Disturbs the Tyrant?, 1983.
- Software Communications Magazine, The Fury, 1988.
- Skivor & Band, The Rainbow Room, 1993.
- Classic Rock Trade Magazine, The Hop, 2003.
Bands and recordings
- The Cheetahs
- The Rhythm Cats
- Pentworth's People
- Barnaby Goode
- Pentworth's People: Demo on vinyl (2 tracks).
- Squidd: Twice Upon a Time (3 track CD).
- Frog Riders: Utterly Spontaneous – Jam Session (7 track CD).
- Rudi Dobson & Rodney Matthews, featuring Tony Clarkin: The House on the Rock (3 track CD).
- Jeff Scheetz, Rodney Matthews & Friends (John Payne, Oliver Wakeman, Bob Catley and Pete Coleman): I Saw Three Ships – Christmas CD with card (1 track).
- 1909-1987., Read, Al, (2003). The rock years 1969-1988. Brace, Terry. Bristol: Broadcast Books. p. 10. ISBN 9781874092827. OCLC 851743737.
- "Matthews, Rodney". Encyclopedia of Science Fiction. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews". Artists UK. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Berghammer, Billy. "Haven Artist Revealed". Nintendo World Report. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews". Dutch Progressive Rock. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodnet Matthews". John Guy Collick. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews". Get Ready to Rock. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews: One of the world's top graphic designers talks about his Christian faith". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Gerry Anderson's Lavender Castle (1998)". Toon Hound. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Lavender Castle". IMDB. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews". British Film Institute. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Shadow Master Review". Games Spot. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews Creates Artwork for Midway's Haven: Call of The King". Game Zone. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Nu Jerusalem". Ecotricity. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "Rodney Matthews releases Christmas CD I Saw Three Ships and Exclusive Art". With Guitars. Retrieved 29 October 2015.