Rodney O. Martin Jr.
Rodney O. Martin Jr.
|Born||June 16, 1952|
|Alma mater||Alfred University (B.A.)|
|Known for||Voya Financial|
Rodney O. "Rod" Martin Jr. (born June 16, 1952) is an American business executive. He serves as the chairman and chief executive officer of Voya Financial, Inc. (NYSE: VOYA), a Fortune 500 financial services company based in New York, New York.
Martin started his career in 1975 as an agent with Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Company, where he served more than 20 years, ultimately becoming president of Connecticut Mutual Insurance Services. In 1995, he became president and chief executive officer of the American General Life Insurance Company of New York. When it merged with the American International Group, he was in charge of their life insurance division. During his 10-year tenure at AIG, he served as chairman and CEO of American Life Insurance Company (Alico) and chairman of American International Assurance (AIA).
In 2011, Martin joined Voya Financial as chairman and chief executive officer. Under Martin's leadership, Voya has achieved 400 basis points of improvement in Ongoing Business Adjusted Operating Return on Equity; generated strong growth in Ongoing Business operating earnings; returned $3 billion in excess capital to shareholders; and fostered a One Voya culture. Martin successfully prepared the company for an initial public offering (IPO) on the New York Stock Exchange in May 2013 – leading one of the top performing IPOs of that year.
Martin earned a total compensation of $9.59 million in 2016, which included a base salary of $1 million, stock awards worth $6.40 million, and other compensation totaling $2.19 million.
Honors and organizations
Martin is a board member of the American Council of Life Insurers (ACLI); a board member of Junior Achievement; a fellow, Life Underwriter Training Council; and has served on the board of the Life Insurance Marketing and Research Association (LIMRA).
- "American International Group (AIG:New York): Rodney Owen Martin Jr". Bloomberg Business. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- "Rodney O. Martin, Jr". Business Roundtable. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- Bianco, Anthony (February 3, 2008). "A.I.G. Chief Can't Stop Looking Over His Shoulder". The New York Times. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- "Rodney O. Martin, Jr". About Voya Financial. 2014-08-08. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "2017 Notice of Annual Meeting to Stockholders and Proxy Statement" (PDF).
- "ACLI 2017 Board of Directors".
- "JA USA Board – Junior Achievement USA". www.juniorachievement.org. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- RPappas (2017-03-01). "Catalyst CEO Champions for Change". Catalyst. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "About – 30% Club". us.30percentclub.org. Retrieved 2017-05-05.
- "CEO AND COMPANY – CECP". cecp.co. Retrieved 2017-05-05.