Rodri (footballer, born 1996)
|Full name||Rodrigo Hernández Cascante|
|Date of birth||22 June 1996|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 08:42, 6 February 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18 November 2018
Rodrigo Hernández Cascante (Spanish pronunciation: [roˈðɾiɣo eɾˈnandeθ kasˈkante]; born 22 June 1996), commonly known as Rodri ([ˈroðɾi]), is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Atlético Madrid.
Born in Madrid, Rodri joined Atlético Madrid's youth setup in 2007 aged 11, from CF Rayo Majadahonda. Released in 2013 due to the "lack of physical strength", he subsequently signed with Villarreal CF.
On 7 February 2015, while still a junior, Rodri made his senior debut for the reserves, coming on as a late substitute in a 3–1 away win against RCD Espanyol B for the Segunda División B. He was handed his first start 15 days later, in a 2–0 victory at Real Zaragoza B.
Rodri made his first-team debut on 17 December 2015, starting in a 2–0 home win against SD Huesca for the season's Copa del Rey. His maiden La Liga appearance took place on 17 April of the following year, when he came on as a second-half substitute for Denis Suárez in a 1–2 away loss to Rayo Vallecano.
On 4 December 2017, having already established himself as a regular, Rodri renewed his contract until 2022. He scored his first goal in the Spanish top level on 18 February 2018, netting the opener in a 1–1 away draw against RCD Espanyol.
On 24 May 2018, Rodri returned to Atlético after the club reached an agreement with Villarreal for his transfer. He signed a five-year contract with the Madrid side, for a fee in the region of €20 million plus 5 million in variables.
After playing for Spain at under-16, under-19 and under-21 levels, Rodri was first called by the full side on 16 March 2018 for two friendlies with Germany and Argentina. He made his debut five days later, replacing Thiago Alcântara late into the 1–1 draw against the former in Düsseldorf.
- "Rodrigo". Atlético Madrid. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Fútbol: el nuevo fichaje "Rodri" (At. Madrid) y Lucas jugaron juntos en Majadahonda" [Football: the new signing "Rodri" (At. Madrid) and Lucas played together at Majadahonda] (in Spanish). Majadahonda Magazin. 22 December 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "El Busquets que se le escapó al Atlético VS. el nuevo 'kaiser' rojiblanco" [The Busquets who slipped away from Atlético vs. the new red-and-white 'kaiser']. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 16 July 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Rodri, el apagafuegos del Juvenil" [Rodri, the youth firefighter] (in Spanish). Villarreal CF. 13 November 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "1–3: Frenados" [1–3: Slowed down] (in Spanish). RCD Espanyol. 7 February 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "El Zaragoza B pierde con el Villarreal (0–2) y Láinez ve la roja" [Zaragoza B lose with Villarreal (0–2) and Láinez sees red]. El Periódico de Aragón (in Spanish). 22 February 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Trigueros remonta al Huesca y certifica el pase sin presumir" [Trigueros completes comeback over Huesca and certifies unassuming qualification]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 17 December 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Dos misiles de Guerra y Miku hunden al Submarino" [Two rockets from Guerra and Miku sink the Submarino]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 17 April 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "El Villarreal CF renueva a Barbosa y Rodrigo" [Villarreal renew Barbosa and Rodrigo] (in Spanish). Villarreal CF. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Granero cambia la realidad" [Granero changes the reality]. Marca (in Spanish). 18 February 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Acuerdo con el Villarreal para el traspaso de Rodri" [Agreement with Villarreal for the transfer of Rodri] (in Spanish). Atlético Madrid. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Cláusula de 70 millones para Rodri" [70 million clause for Rodri]. Marca (in Spanish). 25 May 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Parejo, Marcos Alonso y Rodri, novedades en la lista de la selección española" [Parejo, Marcos Alonso and Rodri, novelties in the list of the Spanish national team]. El País (in Spanish). 18 March 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Rodri, el décimo debutante con Lopetegui en la Selección" [Rodri, tenth newcomer with Lopetegui in the national team]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 23 March 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- Emma Sanders (15 August 2018). "Real Madrid 2–4 Atlético Madrid". BBC Sport. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Spain see off Russia for seventh Under-19 crown". UEFA. 19 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.