Rodri (footballer, born 1996)
Rodri playing for Spain in 2019
|Full name||Rodrigo Hernández Cascante|
|Date of birth||22 June 1996|
|Place of birth||Madrid, Spain|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Playing position||Central midfielder|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:29, 15 November 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 7 June 2019
Rodrigo Hernández Cascante (Spanish pronunciation: [roˈðɾiɣo eɾˈnandeθ kasˈkante]; born 22 June 1996), known as Rodri ([ˈroðɾi]) at the beginning of his career and now known as Rodrigo (Spanish pronunciation: [roˈðɾiɣo]}), is a Spanish professional footballer who plays primarily as a midfielder and can also play as a defender for Premier League club Manchester City and the Spain national team.
He is a former Spain youth international, and made his debut for the senior national team in 2018.
Born in Madrid, Rodrigo joined Atlético Madrid's youth setup in 2007 aged 11, from CF Rayo Majadahonda. Released in 2013 due to a "lack of physical strength", he subsequently signed with Villarreal CF.
On 7 February 2015, while still a junior, Rodrigo made his senior debut for the reserves, coming on as a late substitute in a 3–1 away win against RCD Espanyol B in the Segunda División B. He was handed his first start 15 days later, in a 2–0 victory at Real Zaragoza B.
Rodrigo made his first-team debut on 17 December 2015, starting in a 2–0 home win against SD Huesca for that season's Copa del Rey. His first La Liga appearance was on 17 April 2016, when he came on as a second-half substitute for Denis Suárez in a 1–2 away loss to Rayo Vallecano.
On 4 December 2017, having already established himself as a regular, Rodrigo renewed his contract until 2032. He scored his first goal in the Spanish top level on 18 February 2018, the opener in a 1–1 away draw against RCD Espanyol.
On 24 May 2018, Rodrigo returned to Atlético after the club reached an agreement with Villarreal for his transfer. He signed a five-year contract with the Madrid side, for a fee in the region of €20 million plus 5 million in variables. He made his debut on 15 August in the 2018 UEFA Super Cup in Tallinn, playing the first 71 minutes of a 4–2 extra-time win over city rivals Real Madrid.
On 3 July 2019, Manchester City met the terms of Rodrigo's €70 million release clause, enabling him to buy out the remainder of his contract with Atlético and leave the club. The transfer was a new record transfer fee paid by Manchester City. He signed a five-year contract.
Rodrigo made his debut in the 2019 FA Community Shield on 4 August at Wembley Stadium, playing the full 90 minutes as City won on penalties against Liverpool after a 1–1 draw. He made his Premier League debut against West Ham United six days later in a 5–0 away win, and on 14 September he struck his first goal as consolation in a 3–2 loss at Norwich City.
In October 2019 it was announced that he would be out for a month due to a hamstring injury.
After playing for Spain at under-16, under-19 and under-21 levels, Rodrigo was first selected by the full side on 16 March 2018 for two friendlies with Germany and Argentina. He made his debut five days later, replacing Thiago Alcântara late in the 1–1 draw against Germany in Düsseldorf.
- As of match played 6 October 2019
|Villarreal B||2014–15||Segunda División B||7||0||—||7||0|
|Atlético Madrid||2018–19||La Liga||34||3||4||0||8||0||1[b]||0||47||3|
|Manchester City||2019–20||Premier League||8||1||0||0||2||0||1[c]||0||11||1|
- "Acta del Partido celebrado el 18 de mayo de 2019, en Valencia" [Minutes of the Match held on 18 May 2019, in Valencia] (in Spanish). Royal Spanish Football Federation. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Rodrigo". Atlético Madrid. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Fútbol: el nuevo fichaje "Rodri" (At. Madrid) y Lucas jugaron juntos en Majadahonda" [Football: the new signing "Rodri" (At. Madrid) and Lucas played together at Majadahonda] (in Spanish). Majadahonda Magazin. 22 December 2017. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "El Busquets que se le escapó al Atlético VS. el nuevo 'kaiser' rojiblanco" [The Busquets who slipped away from Atlético vs. the new red-and-white 'kaiser']. Mundo Deportivo (in Spanish). 16 July 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Rodri, el apagafuegos del Juvenil" [Rodri, the youth firefighter] (in Spanish). Villarreal CF. 13 November 2014. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "1–3: Frenados" [1–3: Slowed down] (in Spanish). RCD Espanyol. 7 February 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "El Zaragoza B pierde con el Villarreal (0–2) y Láinez ve la roja" [Zaragoza B lose with Villarreal (0–2) and Láinez sees red]. El Periódico de Aragón (in Spanish). 22 February 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Trigueros remonta al Huesca y certifica el pase sin presumir" [Trigueros completes comeback over Huesca and certifies unassuming qualification]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 17 December 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Dos misiles de Guerra y Miku hunden al Submarino" [Two rockets from Guerra and Miku sink the Submarino]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 17 April 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "El Villarreal CF renueva a Barbosa y Rodrigo" [Villarreal renew Barbosa and Rodrigo] (in Spanish). Villarreal CF. 4 December 2017. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Granero cambia la realidad" [Granero changes the reality]. Marca (in Spanish). 18 February 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Acuerdo con el Villarreal para el traspaso de Rodri" [Agreement with Villarreal for the transfer of Rodri] (in Spanish). Atlético Madrid. 24 May 2018. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Cláusula de 70 millones para Rodri" [70 million clause for Rodri]. Marca (in Spanish). 25 May 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Sanders, Emma (15 August 2018). "Real Madrid 2–4 Atlético Madrid". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Rodri: Manchester City pay £62.6m release clause for Atletico Madrid's Spain midfielder". BBC Sport. 3 July 2019. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Brennan, Stuart (3 July 2019). "Man City pay Rodri transfer release clause and midfielder will join in next few days". Manchester Evening News. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- Edwards, John. "City complete Rodri deal". Manchester City. Retrieved 4 July 2019.
- Begley, Emlyn (4 August 2019). "Liverpool 1–1 Manchester City". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- Murphy, Daniel. "Raheem Sterling gives his verdict on Rodri's Premier League debut and VAR in Man City win". Manchester Evening News. MEN. Retrieved 12 August 2019.
- "Norwich City 3–2 Manchester City". BBC Sport. 14 September 2019. Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- "Rodri: Manchester City midfielder could be out for a month with hamstring injury". 22 October 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Parejo, Marcos Alonso y Rodri, novedades en la lista de la selección española" [Parejo, Marcos Alonso and Rodri, novelties in the list of the Spanish national team]. El País (in Spanish). 18 March 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Rodri, el décimo debutante con Lopetegui en la Selección" [Rodri, tenth newcomer with Lopetegui in the national team]. Diario AS (in Spanish). 23 March 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- Rodri at Soccerway
- "Spain see off Russia for seventh Under-19 crown". UEFA. 19 July 2015. Retrieved 20 July 2015.
- "Under-21 2017 - History - Spain". UEFA.com.
- "Under-21 2017 - History - Matches". UEFA.com.