Tello playing for Beşiktaş in 2009
|Full name||Rodrigo Álvaro Tello Valenzuela|
|Date of birth||14 October 1979|
|Place of birth||Santiago, Chile|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 24 May 2015.
Rodrigo Álvaro Tello Valenzuela (born 14 October 1979) is a Chilean footballer who plays for Turkish club Şanlıurfaspor. He usually operates as a left midfielder, but can also appear in the middle and as an attacking left back.
He spent the better part of his early professional career in Portugal with Sporting, where he arrived at only 21. In 2007 he moved to Turkey where he remained several years, notably representing Beşiktaş.
Born in Santiago, Tello began his career at local Club Universidad de Chile, making his professional debuts in 1999. He quickly made a good impression, being named the best midfielder in the country in 2000 and being transferred to Sporting Clube de Portugal for a fee of €7 million in January of the following year, alongside compatriot Mario Cáceres; at the time, it was a club record for the top division side.
In the 2007 summer Tello moved to Turkey and signed with Beşiktaş JK, being named to the Team of the Season in his second year as his team won the double. On 25 November 2009, during a UEFA Champions League group stage game against Manchester United, he scored from 25 yards to beat Ben Foster and help his side win it 1–0, the first match in that stage of the competition the English had lost at Old Trafford in eight years.
A full Chilean international since his early 20's, Tello represented the country at the 2007 Copa América, where the national side exited in the last-eight after a 1–6 loss against eventual winners Brazil, and at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, playing in the second half of the round-of-16 0–3 defeat to the same opponents.
|1.||23 September 2000||Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile||Honduras||1–0||5–2||Friendly|
|2.||29 March 2000||Monumental, Buenos Aires, Argentina||Argentina||1–1||4–1||2002 World Cup qualification|
|3.||30 May 2010||Estadio Municipal, Concepción, Chile||Israel||3–0||3–0||Friendly|
- As of 9 November 2014
- Universidad Chile
- Portuguese League: 2001–02
- Portuguese Cup: 2001–02, 2006–07
- Portuguese Supercup: 2002
- UEFA Cup: Runner-up 2004–05
- "Luz-verde para Rodrigo Tello" [Green light to Rodrigo Tello] (in Portuguese). Record. 4 January 2001. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "O "novo" Tello e o "velhos" Pintos" ["New" Tello and "old" Pintos] (in Portuguese). Record. 5 July 2001. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Rui Jorge na calha para render Tello" [Rui Jorge poised to replace Tello] (in Portuguese). Record. 6 April 2003. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Beşiktaş triumph at Old Trafford; UEFA.com, 26 November 2009[dead link]
- Rodrigo Tello – FIFA competition record
- "Rodrigo Tello". Sports Reference. Retrieved 24 July 2009.
- "R. Tello". Soccerway. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Rodrigo Tello at footballzz.co.uk
- Rodrigo Tello profile at ForaDeJogo
- Rodrigo Tello at National-Football-Teams.com