Elías with the Seattle Mariners
|Boston Red Sox – No. 29|
August 1, 1988 |
|April 3, 2014, for the Seattle Mariners|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||4.21|
Roenis Elías (/ /; roh-EN-ees el-EE-ǝs; born August 1, 1988) is a Cuban left-handed professional baseball pitcher for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Seattle Mariners.
Elias defected from Cuba in 2010, hoping to sign a contract with a Major League Baseball team. He signed a minor league contract with the Seattle Mariners on May 3, 2011. He made his debut that season and pitched in games for the Pulaski Mariners, Arizona League Mariners and Clinton LumberKings. Overall, he went 5–2 with a 4.28 earned run average (ERA) and 41 strikeouts over 48 1⁄3 innings pitched.
In 2012, he played for the High Desert Mavericks. He started 26 games, finishing with an 11–6 record, 3.76 ERA, 128 strikeouts over 148 1⁄3 innings pitched. He played the 2013 season with the Jackson Generals. He started 22 games, had a 6–11 record and 121 strikeouts over 130 innings.
Invited to Spring Training by the Mariners in 2014, Elias competed for a rotation spot on the Mariners' opening day roster, making the team as one of the starting pitchers. Elias made his Major League debut April 3, 2014. Against the Detroit Tigers on June 1, Elias recorded the team's first shutout by a rookie since Freddy García in 1999.
Boston Red Sox
On December 7, 2015, the Mariners traded Elías and Carson Smith to the Boston Red Sox for Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro. Elías made his Boston debut in relief on April 23, 2016, against the Houston Astros. In June, he was called up from AAA Pawtucket and faced his former Mariners in his first starting appearance with the Red Sox on June 17, giving up seven runs over four innings. Elías was optioned back to Pawtucket after the game.
- "Mariners Spring Training Update – Day 29," From the Corner of Edgar & Dave (Seattle Mariners official blog), Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
- "Mavs pitcher Elias left Cuba to chase dream of playing in MLB". Vvdailypress.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Dutton, Bob. "Rising pitcher Elias keeps Mariners' management interested". Bellinghamherald.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Elias emerging as contender for starting rotation". Seattle.mariners.mlb.com. March 15, 2014. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Condotta, Bob. "Left-hander Elias hopes to make jump from Class AA to Mariners". Seattletimes.com. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- Roenis Elias in Seattle's rotation
- Miller to start at shortstop as Mariners make cuts
- Drayer, Shannon (April 3, 2014). "Mariners notebook: Roenis Elias makes his debut". My Northwest.com. Retrieved September 19, 2014.
- Caple, Christian (June 1, 2014). "Roenis Elias pitches three-hit shutout as Mariners beat Tigers, 4-0". The News Tribune. Retrieved June 1, 2014.