Roeper School (Michigan)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|The Roeper School|
41190 Woodward Avenue
|Founder||George and Annemarie Roeper|
|Head of school||David Feldman|
|School color(s)||red, black and white|
|Rivals||Oakland Christian, Southfield Christian|
The Roeper School is a private coeducational day school, with campuses in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills, Michigan in Greater Detroit, serving students at all levels from preschool through the 12th grade. It was formerly known as Roeper City and Country School.
The Roeper School was founded in 1941 by George and Annemarie Roeper, who were forced to flee Nazi Germany. At the time the Roepers fled Europe, Annemarie had been invited by Anna Freud to be her protégé and, in fact, had completed her first year of medical school.
Together the Roepers founded the school intending it to be a place that, by teaching personal motivation and encouraging critical thinking skills and analysis, would educate children who would not follow leadership blindly as they believed had happened to many people in interwar Germany. It was also hoped the children would come to recognize the inherent dignity of every individual and to not harbor prejudice.
The school first moved to the Bloomfield Hills campus (Coordinates: ) in 1946 and was designated a school for gifted children in 1956. In 1965 the Upper School (high school) program was added, and in 1981, the middle and upper schools moved to the former Adams Elementary School in Birmingham, Michigan ( ), thereby creating two campuses. The Capital Campaign fundraising initiative began in the mid-nineties and has provided the school with its largest investment in new facilities, including a new elementary school classroom building that sits adjacent to the new community center that houses the school's first adequate gymnasium, and the lower school's first adequate choir and band rooms.
- Flavia Colgan, political activist and analyst
- Dwayne McDuffie, comic book and animation writer
- Richard R. Murray, founder of Equity Schools Inc.
- Angela V. Shelton, actress and comedian
- Charlie White, Olympic ice dancer
- Mark Zbikowski, Microsoft programmer, designer of the DOS executable file format
- School web site - General Information retrieved November 25, 2008
- School web site home page retrieved November 25, 2008
- "The Roeper School: A model for holistic development of high ability". Retrieved 2016-01-14.