|Manufacturer||Roewe (SAIC Motor)|
|Also called||MG Dynamo EV (2014)
MG E50 (2012)
|Assembly||Pukou, Nanjing, China|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||3-door hatchback|
|Kerb weight||1080 kg|
The E50 was originally unveiled as a concept car at the 2012 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. In November 2012, SAIC introduced the production version of the Roewe E50, a four-seater supermini-sized hatchback for the Chinese market.
The E50 has a 47 kW motor and an 18 kWh battery pack supplied by A123 Systems that delivers a range of 180 km (110 mi) and a top speed of up to 120 km/h (75 mph). The E50 uses several lightweight materials from Evonik to reduce energy consumption and to achieve lower emissions. The electric car pricing starts at CN¥234,900 (US$37,589) before available government incentives, and SAIC's goal is to sell 1,000 units within the first year in the market.
Retail deliveries began in Shanghai in January 2013. The E50 is subject to a cash rebate of CN¥60,000 (US$9,648) from the central government, another CN¥40,000 (US$6,432) from the Shanghai municipal government, and also is exempted from the city's license plate fee, which by January 2013 had a cost of CN¥75,000 (US$12,060), but the new-energy car plates, or EV plates, are non-transferable. These incentive make the E50 competitive with the price of an economy family car.
MG Dynamo EV
The E50 was provided the basis of MG Dynamo EV, a concept car shown in the UK during spring 2014. The Dynamo uses a 71bhp electric motor developing 155Nm of torque, and has a range of 50 miles on a single charge.
- "SAIC’s First Pure-Electric Car, Roewe E50, to Hit Market in October". ChinaAuto Web. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- Roewe Press Release (2012-11-04). "SAIC introducing Roewe E50 electric vehicle in China". Green Car Congress. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "All-Electric SAIC Roewe E50 Hits the Market at US$37,589". ChinaAuto Web. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- He Wei (2013-01-24). "SAIC delivers first battery-powered car". China Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "Roewe E50 first drive review". Autocar. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "MG Dynamo electric car revealed". Auto Express. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.