|Manufacturer||Roewe (SAIC Motor)|
|Assembly||China: Pukou, Nanjing|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||3-door hatchback|
|Wheelbase||2,305 mm (90.7 in)|
|Length||3,569 mm (140.5 in)|
|Width||1,551 mm (61.1 in)|
|Height||1,540 mm (60.6 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,080 kg (2,381 lb)|
The E50 was originally unveiled as a concept car at the 2012 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. In November 2012, SAIC Motor introduced the production version of the Roewe E50, a four seater supermini sized hatchback for the market in China.
The E50 has a 47 kW motor and an 18 kWh battery pack supplied by A123 Systems that delivers a range of 180 km (110 mi) and a top speed of up to 120 km/h (75 mph). The E50 uses several lightweight materials from Evonik to reduce energy consumption and to achieve lower emissions.
The electric car pricing starts at CN¥234,900 (US$37,589) before available government incentives, and SAIC's goal was to sell 1,000 units within the first year in the market. Retail deliveries began in Shanghai in January 2013.
The E50 is subject to a cash rebate of CN¥60,000 (US$9,648) from the central government, another CN¥40,000 (US$6,432) from the Shanghai municipal government, and also is exempted from the city's license plate fee, which by January 2013 had a cost of CN¥75,000 (US$12,060), but the new energy car plates, or EV plates, are non transferable.
MG Dynamo EV
The E50 was provided the basis of MG Dynamo EV, a concept car shown in the United Kingdom during spring 2014. The Dynamo uses a 71bhp electric motor developing 155Nm of torque, and has a range of 50 miles on a single charge.
- "SAIC's First Pure-Electric Car, Roewe E50, to Hit Market in October". ChinaAuto Web. 2012-05-26. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- Roewe Press Release (2012-11-04). "SAIC introducing Roewe E50 electric vehicle in China". Green Car Congress. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "All-Electric SAIC Roewe E50 Hits the Market at US$37,589". ChinaAuto Web. 2012-11-05. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- He Wei (2013-01-24). "SAIC delivers first battery-powered car". China Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "Roewe E50 first drive review". Autocar. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 28 January 2015.
- "MG Dynamo electric car revealed". Auto Express. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2014.