Roger Bacon High School
|Roger Bacon High School|
4320 Vine Street
|Motto||"In Sanctitate Et Doctrina"|
(In Holiness and Learning)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Teaching staff||40.8 (on an FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.5|
|Color(s)||Brown and white|
|Athletics conference||Greater Catholic League|
This high school was dedicated in 1928, and was under the administration of and staffed by the Brothers and Priests of the Order of Friars Minor, and lay men and women. The school was named in honor of Roger Bacon, a Franciscan friar and English philosopher who placed considerable emphasis on empiricism, and has been presented as one of the earliest advocates of the modern scientific method.
Our Lady of Angels High School was the sister school to Roger Bacon, and was located several hundred yards northeast from campus. OLA was also dedicated in 1928, and due to changing demographics and smaller enrollment, closed its doors for good after the graduating class of 1984. (Google Earth lists OLA, even though the school has closed and the building has been torn down.) That year, Roger Bacon High School became co-educational, and Roger Bacon welcomed the Our Lady of Angels students and alumnae into their family. The class of 1988 was the first four-year co-ed class to graduate from Roger Bacon High School.
The curriculum is accredited by the Ohio Department of Education and the Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys' baseball - 1935 
- Boys' basketball - 1982, 2002 
- Boys' soccer - 1989, 1990 
- Girls' basketball - 1995 
- Girls' volleyball - 2001, 2004, 2005 
Other athletic accomplishments
- OLA Girls' volleyball State Runner-up - 1982
- Girls' volleyball State Runner-up - 1999
- Girls' volleyball State Runner-up - 2000
- Boys' volleyball Final Four - 2009
- Boys' volleyball State Runner-up - 2012
- Boys' soccer State Runner-up - 1977
Notable alumni include:
- Mel Anthony (b.1943), former football player, University of Michigan
- Adrian Breen (b.1965), former football player, Cincinnati Bengals (NFL)
- Moe Burtschy (1922 – 2004), baseball player, Philadelphia Athletics (MLB)
- Thomas J. Fogarty M.D. (b.1934), surgical instrumentation inventor; Thomas Fogarty Winery proprietor
- Marc Edward Heuck (b.1969), actor known for his role on Beat the Geeks TV game show on Comedy Central
- Tom Kramer (b.1968), former baseball player, Cleveland Indians (MLB)
- Robert Ruwe (b.1941), former senior judge of the United States Tax Court
- B.J. Sander (b.1980), former football player, Green Bay Packers (NFL)
- Milt Stegall (b.1970), former football player, Cincinnati Bengals (NFL) and Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL)
- Adolphus Washington (b.1994), football player, Miami Dolphins (NFL)
- John C. Willke (1925 – 2015), physician and anti-abortion activist.
- "Administration". Roger Bacon High School. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "ROGER BACON HIGH SCHOOL". Private School Universe Survey. National enter for Education Statistics. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball D2". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AAA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.