|Roger David Blandford|
28 August 1949 |
|Institutions||California Institute of Technology
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology
|Alma mater||Magdalene College, Cambridge
St John's College, Cambridge
Institute for Advanced Study
|Doctoral advisor||Martin Rees|
|Doctoral students||Lars Hernquist
|Notable awards||Helen B. Warner Prize (1982)
Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics (1998)
Eddington Medal (1999)
Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (2013)
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
He is famous in the astrophysical community for the Blandford-Znajek Process which is a model for the extraction of energy from a black hole. In April 2005 he wrote a letter to the astronomy community showing his concern about the George W. Bush administration US space science policy.
He is also the chair of Astro2010, the decadal survey that helps define and recommend funding priorities for U.S. astronomy research in the upcoming decade. The Astro2010 report was released August 13, 2010.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Society, Member of the U.S. National Academy of Science, Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He is currently Luke Blossom Professor in the School of Humanities and Sciences at Stanford University, Professor of Physics at Stanford University and at Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) National Accelerator Laboratory. He was the Pehong and Adele Chen Director, Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology from 2003 to 2013.
- Crafoord Prize (2016)
- Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society (2013)
- Humboldt Prize (2011)
- Eddington Medal (1999)
- Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics (1998)
- Helen B. Warner Prize for Astronomy (1982)
- Exploring the Universe - Physics Today April 2005
- New Worlds, New Horizons in Astronomy and Astrophysics. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. 2010. ISBN 978-0-309-15799-5. doi:10.17226/12951.
- SLAC HEP Faculty: Roger Blandford
- "The Crafoord Prizes in Mathematics and Astronomy 2016". Crafoord Prize. 13 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "2013 winners of the RAS awards, medals and prizes". Royal Astronomical Society. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- "Roger D. Blandford received the Dannie Heineman Prize 1998 of the American Astronomical Society.", Physics Today, 51: R79, 1998, Bibcode:1998PhT....51R..79.
- "Roger D. Blandford received the Helen B. Warner Prize of the American Astronomical Society.", Physics Today, 36: Q68, 1983, Bibcode:1983PhT....36Q..68.
- Faculty webpage of Roger Blandford at Stanford University
- Prof Roger Blandford, FRS at Debrett's People of Today
- on YouTube, Part of the Silicon Valley Astronomy Lecture Series