Roger Bush (musician)
September 16, 1940|
|Genres||Bluegrass music, country music|
|Associated acts||Kentucky Colonels, Country Gazette|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Discography
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Roger Bush was born in Hollywood but raised in El Monte, California. After high school, he started the Green Mountain Boys bluegrass group with his brother Sherman and future Golden State Boys Don Parmley and Tom Kuehl.
Roland White (brother of Clarence White taught Bush how to play upright bass. In 1961, Bush replaced bassist Eric White (brother of Roland and Clarence) in the Country Boys which in 1962 became the Kentucky Colonels.
When the Kentucky Colonels disbanded in 1966, Bush played a country group called Trio with Clarence White and drummer Bart Haney.
Doug Dillard Expedition
In 1971, Bush and Berline formed Country Gazette. They initially assisted the Flying Burrito Brothers with a tour and live album, then recorded their first album in 1972. Bush stayed with Country Gazette until 1977. The original Country Gazette (including Bush) reunited in 1980 and again in 1985.
As part of the Kentucky Colonels
- 1962: The New Sound Of Bluegrass America (Briar) reissued by Sierra in 2007
- 1964: Appalachian Swing! (World Pacific)
- 1964: Long Journey Home (Vanguard) released 1991
- 1965: Scotty Stoneman with the Kentucky Colonels: Live in L.A. (Sierra)
- 1988: On Stage (Rounder) from 1964
- 1999: Live In Stereo (Double Barrel) from 1965
As part of Country Gazette
- 1972: A Traitor In Our Midst! (United Artists)
- 1973: Don't Give Up Your Day Job (United Artists)
- 1975: Country Gazette Live (Transatlantic)
- 1976: Out To Lunch aka "The Sunny Side of the Mountain (Flying Fish / Transatlantic)
With Billy Ray Lathum and Clarence White
- 2007: Rare Performance (Shikata) recorded in summer 1964)
- 1972: The Last of the Red Hot Burritos (A&M)
- 1973: Live in Amsterdam (Ariola)
- 1974: Bluegrass Special (Ariola)
With Clarence White
- 1962: Clarence White: 33 Acoustic Guitar Instrumentals (Sierra) with Bush playing rhythm guitar
Also appears on
- 1968: Rudy Q. Jones - A Soldier for Jesus (Warrior)
- 1970. Douglas Dillard - The Banjo Album (Together)
- 1972: Stephen Stills and Manassas - Manassas (Atlantic)
- 1973: Gene Parsons - Kindling (Warner Bros.)
- 1974: Arlo Guthrie - Arlo Guthrie (Reprise)
- 1974: Leslie Keith - Black Mountain Blues (Briar)
- 1974: Steve, Leroy & Brother Dave - Bluegrass Gospel According To Steve, Leroy & Brother Dave (Manna)
- 1975: Alan Munde - Alan Munde's Banjo Sandwich (Ridge Runner)
- 1975: Jerry Riopelle - Take a Chance (ABC)
- 1976: Dave Ferguson - Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Other Fiddle Tunes (Ridge Runner)
- 1976: Arlo Guthrie - Hobo's Lullaby (Reprise)
- 1976: The Grossman Brothers - Golden Skies (Dixie Licks)
- 1976: Dan Huckabee - Why Is This Man Smiling (Ridge Runner)
- 1976: Roland White - I Wasn't Born To Rock'n Roll (Ridge Runner)
- 1977: Sam Bush And Alan Munde -Together Again For the First Time
- 1977: Rick Nelson - Intakes (Epic)
- 1978: Jim Silvers - ...You Gotta Let All the Girls Know You're a Cowboy (CMH)
- 1979: Gene Parsons - Melodies (Sierra)
- Thompson, Richard (September 16, 2011). "I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky #351". Bluegrass Today. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Thomas Aubrunner. "Country Gazette (Part 1)". Burrito Brother. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Griffin, Sid (2005). Bluegrass Guitar: Know the Players, Play the Music (1 ed.). Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Carlin, Richard (2003). Country Music: A Biographical Dictionary (1 ed.). Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "IBMA Announces 2016 Inductees to International Bluegrass Hall of Fame". IBMA. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- "33 Acoustic Guitar Instrumentals: Clarence White". Grateful Dead FamilyDiscography. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- staff writer (December 15, 2016). "Clarence White 7/1973". Rock and Roll Paradise. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Stambler, Irwin (Jul 14, 2000). Country Music: The Encyclopedia (1 ed.). Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Kingsbury, Paul (Dec 16, 2004). The Encyclopedia of Country Music (1 ed.). Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Erlewine, Michael (1997). All Music Guide to Country: The Experts' Guide to the Best Recordings in Country Music (1 ed.). Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Lawless, John (May 27, 2014). "On This Day #30 – Country Gazette Live". Bluegrass Today. Retrieved July 5, 2017.