Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award
|Given for||goaltender who has played a minimum of 25 games and finished the season with the best save percentage in the National Hockey League.|
|First award||1999–2000 NHL season|
|Final award||2006–07 NHL season|
The Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award, officially billed as the MBNA/MasterCard Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award, was an award in ice hockey given annually to the goaltender who finished the regular season with the best save percentage in the National Hockey League (NHL). Only goaltenders who played 25 games or more in the season were eligible for the award. A goaltender's save percentage represents the percentage of shots on goal that he stops, and is calculated by dividing the number of saves by the total number of shots on goal.
The award was first presented at the conclusion of the 1999–2000 season, and was named in honor of former Detroit Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres and Washington Capitals goaltender Roger Crozier, a Calder and Conn Smythe Trophy winner who played in the NHL from 1964 to 1977. It was presented by the MBNA corporation in memory of Crozier, who worked for the MBNA America Bank after retiring as a player, and died on January 11, 1996. The winner of the trophy received a commemorative crystal trophy and was given US$25,000 to donate to a youth hockey or other educational program of their choice.
As of 2007, after which it ceased being presented, the award had been handed to six different players on seven occasions. Marty Turco is the only goaltender to have won the award twice. The Dallas Stars have won the award three times, whereas the Montreal Canadiens and the Minnesota Wild have won it twice. The award was not presented in 2005, as the entire 2004–05 season was canceled due to the lockout.
|Season||Player||Team||Save %||Win #||Ref.|
|1999–2000||Belfour, EdEd Belfour||Dallas Stars||.919||1|||
|2000–01||Turco, MartyMarty Turco||Dallas Stars||.925||1|||
|2001–02||TheodoreTheodore, JoseJose Theodore||Montreal Canadiens||.931||1|||
|2002–03||Turco, MartyMarty Turco||Dallas Stars||.932||2|||
|2003–04||Roloson, DwayneDwayne Roloson||Minnesota Wild||.933||1|||
|2004–05||Not awarded due to NHL lockout|
|2005–06||Huet, CristobalCristobal Huet||Montreal Canadiens||.929||1|||
|2006–07||BackstromBackstrom, NiklasNiklas Backstrom||Minnesota Wild||.929||1|||
Save-percentage leaders (1982–1999)
Before 2000, there was no award for leading the league in save percentage. The NHL started counting the statistic in 1982, and this lists all the leaders from the inception of the statistic to the inception of the award.
* Season shortened by the 1994–95 NHL lockout
Save-percentage leaders (2007–present)
* Season shortened by the 2012–13 NHL lockout
|Season||Player||Team||Save %||Win #|
|2007–08||Ellis, DanDan Ellis||Nashville Predators||.924||1|
|2008–09||Thomas, TimTim Thomas||Boston Bruins||.933||1|
|2009–10||Rask, TuukkaTuukka Rask||Boston Bruins||.931||1|
|2010–11||Thomas, TimTim Thomas||Boston Bruins||.938||2|
|2011–12||Elliott, BrianBrian Elliott||St. Louis Blues||.940||1|
|2012–13*||Anderson, CraigCraig Anderson1||Ottawa Senators||.941||1|
|2013–14||Harding, JoshJosh Harding||Minnesota Wild||.933||1|
|2014–15||Price, CareyCarey Price||Montreal Canadiens||.933||1|
|2015–16||Elliott, BrianBrian Elliott||St. Louis Blues||.930||2|
- "Canadiens' Cristobal Huet to receive MBNA Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award". National Hockey League. 2006-09-20. Archived from the original on 2006-09-22. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- Muir, Allan (2006-05-31). "In a class of his own". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Heika, Mike (2000-03-19). "Around the NHL – Tight-with-a-buck Bruins soured company man Bourque". The Providence Journal. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Brehm, Mike (2003-04-02). "Answers: Decoding the stats page". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Fischler, Stan; Fischler, Shirley (2003). Who's Who in Hockey. Andrews McMeel Publishing. p. 88. ISBN 0-7407-1904-1.
- Caldwell, Dave (2005-07-14). "N.H.L. and Players Reach Agreement". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Ed Belfour". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Marty Turco". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Jose Theodore". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Dwayne Roloson". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Cristobel Huet". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Niklas Bäckström". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Klein, Jeff Z.; Serviss, Lew (2008-04-13). "Leetch Weighs Changes to Defenseman’s Game". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-05-05.