Roger De Haan
Sir Roger Michael De Haan
Roger Michael De Haan
October 1948 (age 70)
|Education||Westbrook House Preparatory School for Boys and Girls Seaford College (Independent school)|
|Known for||Saga Group, Folkestone|
|Net worth||£900 million (April 2016)|
|Children||First marriage: |
|Parent(s)||Sidney De Haan and Margery Crick|
Sir Roger Michael De Haan, CBE, DL (born October 1948, Northampton) is the son of the late Sidney De Haan, who created the Saga group of companies, best known for selling holidays to the over-50s market. De Haan took over Saga in 1984 when his father retired, and then ran the company with his brother Peter for a further twenty years, launching Saga-branded radio stations to accompany the group's holidays and financial services. He choose to leave the business in 2004, selling the entire Saga Group (which included insurance and holiday businesses) to a management buyout for £1.35 billion, although he continued to run some of the radio stations himself. In that year he bought Folkestone Harbour for £11 million.
The Roger De Haan Charitable Trust was established in 1978, offering charitable support to a variety of charities and community organisations, mostly in the area around Folkestone and south east Kent.
De Haan was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2004 for services to business, education and charity in 2004 and was knighted in the 2014 New Year Honours for services to education and to charity in Kent and overseas. He regularly appears in the Sunday Times' 'rich list'. Following the sale of Saga, he retained ownership of two digital radio stations, PrimeTime Radio and Saga Radio (Digital), but following continuing heavy losses took the decision to close them in 2006.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 17 September 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Seaford | Sussex". Guide to Independent Schools. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Roger Michael DE HAAN – Personal Appointments (free information from Companies House)". Government of the United Kingdom. 29 October 2013. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 December 2009. Retrieved 30 July 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2010.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "No. 60728". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2013. p. 1.
- "Rich List 2016". The Sunday Times (page 45). 24 April 2016.
- Independent – Announcement of retirement from Saga (November 2003).
- Interview with the Sandgate News (December 2005).
- Marketing Week ‘most influential business personality in the South of England’ (July 2005)
- Telegraph – Interview with Clive Aslet (July 2007)
- Folkestone Seafront Development
- Folkestone Harbour Company