Roger Goodman (academic)
Roger Goodman speaking at St Antony's College
26 May 1960
Durham University (BA)|
Oxford University (DPhil)
|Occupation||Academic, social scientist|
Japan's International Youth (1990) |
Children of the Japanese State (2000)
Roger James Goodman (born 26 May 1960) is a British social scientist and academic, specialising in Japanese studies. He is the Nissan Professor of Modern Japanese Studies at the Nissan Institute for Japanese Studies at the University of Oxford, and the sixth Warden of St Antony's College, Oxford. He was also head of the Social Sciences Division of the university from 2008 to 2017.
Early life and education
Goodman was born on 26 May 1960 to Cyril Joshua Goodman and Ruth Goodman (née Sabel). He was educated at Rugby School, an all-boys independent boarding school, and at King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford, then an all-boys state grammar school. He studied at the Durham University, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1981. In 1982, he matriculated into St Antony's College, Oxford to undertake postgraduate studies in social anthropology. He completed his Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) degree in 1987 with a thesis titled "A study of the Kikokoshijo phenomenon: returnee schoolchildren in contemporary Japan".
- Goodman, Roger (1990). Japan's "international youth": the emergence of a new class of schoolchildren. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 978-0198278412.
- Goodman, Roger (2000). Children of the Japanese state: the changing role of child protection institutions in contemporary Japan. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0198234210.
- "Professor Roger Goodman". Nissan Institute for Japanese Studies.
- "Sixth Warden of St Antony's College". St Antony's College, University of Oxford. 3 October 2017.
- "Goodman, Prof. Roger James". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.44789. Missing or empty
- "Professor Roger Goodman". St Antony's College. University of Oxford. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- Goodman, R. (1987). "A study of the Kikokoshijo phenomenon: Returnee schoolchildren in contemporary Japan". E-Thesis Online Service. The British Library Board. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "New Warden announced for St Antony's College". St Antony's College. University of Oxford. 5 August 2016. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
| Warden of St Antony's College, Oxford
2017 to present