Roger Payne (mountaineer)
|Other disciplines||Climbing, alpinism|
Roger Payne (16 July 1956 – 12 July 2012) was a British mountaineer. He was formerly general secretary of the British Mountaineering Council (BMC) and a qualified mountain guide from 1983, taking part in over 20 expeditions to the Karakoram and Himalayan ranges, including K2 and the north face of Changabang. He was an avalanche instructor and climbed in the Alps every year from 1977.
Payne grew up in Hammersmith, London, and took an education degree in 1983 at Sunderland Polytechnic where he was president of the mountaineering club. He then became a teacher and climbing instructor and he later moved to Leysin, Switzerland.
- 2007 - Brumkhangshe, Pheling, Chombu, Eagle Peak
- 2006 - Chogyl, Frontier Peak, Koktang, Ratong
- 2005 - Lama Lamani, Mount Tinchenchang
- 2004 - Thangsing Valley
- 2004 - Chomolhari
- 2003 - Mount Grosvenor
- 2002 - Island Peak
- 2000 - Pumari Chhish
- 1999 - Pumari Chhish
- 1998 - Meru
- 1997 - Changabang
- 1996 - Changabang
- 1995 - Tirsuli West
- 1994 - Nanda Devi East
- 1993 - K2
- 1992 - Broad Peak
- 1991 - Khan Tengri, Pobeda
- 1989 - Lobuje East
- 1988 - Mount Foraker, Mount McKinley
- 1987 - Gasherbrum 6, Gasherbrum 2
- 1986 - Rusac, Peru
- 1985 - Millpuqrahu, Kayish
- 1983 - Meru
- 1982 - Mount McKinley
- "Roger Payne". The Economist. 21 July 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- http://www.london24.com/news/climber_from_west_london_roger_payne_among_french_alps_avalanche_dead_1_1444436 London24. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/alps/9396159/Three-Britons-killed-in-French-Alpine-avalanche.html Daily Telegraph report. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172418/Mont-Blanc-avalanche-kills-9-British-victim-Roger-Payne-pictured-French-Alps.html Daily Mail report. Retrieved 13 July 2012.
- http://www.rogerpayne.info/climbing.htm List of climbs from Roger Payne Website. Retrieved 15 July 2012
|This biographical article relating to climbing or mountaineering is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|