Roger Protz (born 1939) is a British writer, journalist and campaigner. He joined the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) in 1976 and has written several books on beer and pubs. He edited the 1978 to 1983 editions of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide and each edition since 2000.
Protz joined the Labour Party Young Socialists and became editor of its newspaper, New Advance. While in the Labour Party, he joined the Socialist Labour League. During the 1960s he also worked as a sub-editor on the Evening Standard. In 1961, he resigned from New Advance to become the editor of the SLL's youth newspaper Keep Left. In 1964, he became the editor of the Militant tendency's Militant newspaper, and in 1968 of Socialist Worker, resigning in 1974. Subsequently he spent a period lecturing in journalism before working for CAMRA.
He writes a regular column for the Publican's Morning Advertiser, a monthly column for What's Brewing and also contributes to Beers of the World and All About Beer. He also wrote a beer column for The Guardian until 2006. In 2007, he lectured on the history of beer to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC. In 1988 he founded the British Guild of Beer Writers and was chairman of the Guild 2000-2003. His awards include two golden and five silver tankards from the Guild and he was named Glenfiddich Drink Writer of the Year in 1997 and 2004.
- The Complete Guide to World Beer, 2004. ISBN 1-84442-865-6.
- Classic Stout and Porter, 1997. ISBN 1-85375-220-7.
- The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer, 1995. ISBN 1-86309-142-4.
- "300 Beers to Try Before You Die", 2005. ISBN 978-1-85249-273-1
- "300 More Beers to Try Before You Die", 2013. ISBN 978-1-85249-295-3
- Mellows, Phil (21 September 2010). "Roger Protz: beer and the brickbats". morningadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Gerry Healy - Chapter 6". www.whatnextjournal.co.uk. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- "The RSL (Militant) in the 1960s - a study in passivity". archive.workersliberty.org. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/critiques/locust/app04.htm Letter to IS Branches from National Secretary, 10 April 1974 in Jim Higgins, More Years for the Locust.
|Editor of Socialist Worker