|Member of the Kansas Senate
from the 22nd district
|Preceded by||Lana Oleen|
|Succeeded by||Tom Hawk (D)|
|Born||November 11, 1932|
|Alma mater||Kansas State University
University of Kansas School of Medicine
Reitz served as a representative in the Kansas House of Representatives from 2002 to 2005. He previously had served as mayor and city commissioner for the Manhattan City Commission and was president and member of Unified School District 383 School Board. Reitz graduated from Kansas State University and is graduated from the University of Kansas School of Medicine in 1959 with an M.D.. He served in the United States Army as a physician. He is a practicing, board-certified doctor of internal medicine.
In the 2012 Republican primary, Reitz was defeated in a three-way race in the Republican primary on August 7, 2012. Bob Reader, whose primary campaign was largely funded by Americans for Prosperity-Kansas, gained the party's nomination, winning 3,318 votes, to Reitz's 2,251 votes and Joe Knopp's 2,134 votes.
Reader was subsequently defeated in the November 2012 general election by former Kansas State Representative Tom Hawk, who was endorsed by Reitz. Hawk was unopposed in the Democratic primary, winning 1,559 votes.
On November 4, 2008 Reitz was re-elected to the 22nd District, defeating Democrat Rusty Wilson by 24 votes.
Bob Reader challenged Reitz in the Republican primary, but was defeated.
- Local Government (chair)
- Federal and State Affairs (vice-chair)
- Joint Committee on Children's Issues
- Joint Committee on Energy and Environmental Policy
- Ethics and Elections
- Joint Committee on Health Policy Oversight
Some of the top contributors to Reitz's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Kansas Republican Senatorial Committee, Senator Reitz (self-finance), Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Kansas Contractors Association, AT&T
Political parties were his largest donor group.
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 & 2 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- http://www.kslegislature.org/li_2012/b2011_12/members/sen_reitz_roger_1/ Kansas Senate profile
- http://www.rogerreitz.org/index.html Reitz's website
- Kansas Secretary of State, "Candidates for the 2012 Primary (official)," retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Kansas Secretary of State, Official 2012 Primary Results
- 2008 Kansas Election Results
- http://cjonline.com/news/state/2011-10-08/senate-vortex-2012-election-cycle "Senate at vortex of 2012 election cycle"
- Profile from the Kansas Legislature
- Roger Reitz 2008 campaign contributions
- Kansas Senate
- Project Vote Smart profile
- Follow the Money campaign contributions
- Reitz's website