Roger That (song)
|Single by Young Money|
|from the album We Are Young Money|
|Released||March 23, 2010|
|Producer(s)||JShmoney Stonehaven Finest|
|Young Money singles chronology|
|Lil Wayne singles chronology|
|Nicki Minaj singles chronology|
|Tyga singles chronology|
"Roger That" is a song by rap group Young Money Entertainment released as the third single from their debut collaboration album We Are Young Money. Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, and Tyga rap on this song. The video was released on March 1, 2010, alongside "Girl I Got You".
The song received generally positive reviews by critics, most of which favored Minaj's contribution to the song over the others. "Roger That" debuted and peaked at 56 on Billboard Hot 100, 15 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and 1 on the Billboard Rap Songs.
Nicki Minaj stated on her Twitter that all three rappers featured on the song never actually met the songs producer, Phenom. Minaj stated the beat was sent to her by Gmail who sent it to Lil Wayne which later led to the song being released on the We Are Young Money LP with all three rappers adding verses.
In the 2010 Sucker Free Summit, Lil Wayne's verse in the song was nominated for the Verse of the Year award along with label-mate Nicki Minaj for her verse in "My Chick Bad".
XXL gave Minaj a positive review on the song stating, "On "Roger That," for instance, YM's female MC Nicki Minaj steals the spotlight". HipHopDX also favored Minaj's verse but stated the track would be better without Wayne stating, "Nicki Minaj owns most of the tracks she's present on including 'Roger That' and 'Fuck da Bullshit', two more songs that could've done without Wayne." Planet Ill gave the song a negative review stating " 'Roger That' is the final breath for an album that's lifeless by its end." Nathan S. of DJ Booth gave the song a mixed review commenting on Minaj as part of the whole album but predictable in "Roger That" stating, "Nicki Minaj can't be ignored, although over the course of an album her wild style can become oddly predictable (especially on 'Roger That', where she sounds almost bored)."
The music video was released on March 1, 2010, the day before Lil Wayne was supposed to be sentenced to jail after the second postponing and same day as the premiere of Lil Twist and Lil Chuckee's "Girl I Got You". The video was shot entirely with a green-screen and pays homage to the film Sin City and bases a more adult story of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The video features Lil Wayne, Tyga & Nicki Minaj and also featured the others artists in Young Money at the time except for Drake, T-Streets.
|US Billboard Hot 100||56|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||15|
|US Billboard Rap Songs||1|
- Roger That - Young Money on Vimeo Archived May 28, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- Twitter / NICKIMINAJ: BTW, I never met the dude who
- Young Money, We Are Young Money [REVIEW] - XXL
- Young Money - We Are Young Money | Read Hip Hop Reviews, Rap Reviews & Hip Hop Album Reviews | HipHop DX Archived August 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Young Money - We Are Young Money | Album Review, Stream | DJBooth.net Archived November 9, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- Rap-Up.com || Video: Young Money – ‘Roger That' Archived September 21, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Young Money 'Roger That' - New Song - AOL Radio Blog Archived March 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- http://music2myears911.blogspot.com/2010/02/third-single-of-we-are-young-money-is.html[dead link]
- http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/chart-highlights-pop-rap-rock-songs-more-1004088334.story?tag=hpfeed#/column/chartbeat/chart-highlights-pop-rap-rock-songs-more-1004088334.story?tag=hpfeed Archived November 5, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.