|Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield|
|Appointed||between 17 May and 4 July 1245|
|Term ended||resigned November or December 1256|
|Predecessor||Robert de Monte Pessulano|
|Successor||Roger de Meyland|
|Other posts||Dean of Lincoln|
|Consecration||between 17 May and 4 July 1245|
|Died||c. 20 May 1257|
Weseham was probably a native of Weasenham, Norfolk and was educated at Oxford University. He graduated with a master's in arts before 1233. He was then a lecturer at Oxford University. He was Archdeacon of Oxford by May 1237 until 1240, when he was appointed Dean of Lincoln by Robert Grosseteste, who had made Roger a protégé. He was nominated as a bishop and consecrated between 17 May and 4 July 1245.
While bishop, Weseham wrote an Instituta for his clergy, in order to teach them Christian doctrine and help them select sermon topics. One of the subjects he wanted his clergy to cover the basics tenets of the Christian faith. To do this, he listed all the doctrines in the Apostle's Creed, and covered possible sermon themes relating to each doctrine. He also gathered learned men around him, including the Franciscan Brother Vincent, John of Basingstoke, a Greek scholar, and Ralph de Sempringham, who became Chancellor of the University of Oxford.
- Franklin "Wesham, Roger of" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Moorman Church Life in England p. 163
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 253
- Moorman Church Life in England p. 181
- Swanson Religion and Devotion p. 67
- Moorman Church Life in England p. 183
- Franklin, M. J. (2004). "Wesham, Roger of (d. 1257)" ((subscription or UK public library membership required)). Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/29066. Retrieved 15 January 2008.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Moorman, John R. H. (1955). Church Life in England in the Thirteenth Century (Revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Swanson, R. N. (1995). Religion and Devotion in Europe, c. 1215-c. 1515. Cambridge Medieval Textbooks. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-37950-4.
|Catholic Church titles|
Robert de Monte Pessulano
|Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield
Roger de Meyland