This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Member of the North Carolina House of Representatives|
from the 120th district
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||James C. Carpenter|
November 1, 1948
Murphy, North Carolina
|Residence||Marble, North Carolina|
|Occupation||Owner of West Construction Inc.|
|Website||Roger West for House|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Branch/service||United States Navy|
|Years of service||1968-1971 Active Duty|
Thomas Roger West is a Republican member of the North Carolina General Assembly representing the state's one hundred twentieth House district, including constituents in Cherokee, Clay, Graham and Macon counties. A contractor from Marble, North Carolina, West is currently (2010-2011 session) serving in his sixth term in the state House.
Possum drop law
Representative West represents Brasstown, NC, which holds an annual "Possum Drop" on New Year's Eve, which involves capturing a wild opossum, enclosing it in a clear plastic box, suspending it high in the air, and lowering it to the ground with the countdown to midnight. During the suspension and lowering, fireworks are set off, muskets are fired, crowds of people scream, and loud music is played. The possum is later released. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals filed a lawsuit in October 2013 attempting to outlaw the practice, claiming it makes it likely that the possum will die from stress-related ailments within days or weeks.
West was the sponsor of a law in the North Carolina House that exempts opossums from state wildlife laws from Dec. 26, 2014 to Jan. 2, 2015 in Clay County, where the drop is held. West jokingly noted when asked by another committee member that the marsupial community was in support of the bill. Its consideration was met with some joking by committee members and passed easily.
- "Representative Roger West (Republican, 2011-2012 Session)". North Carolina General Assembly. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- [dead link]
- "North Carolina Manual ... - North Carolina. Secretary of State - Google Books". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Roger West for House Biography". Rogerwestforhouse.com. Archived from the original on 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2012-07-20.
- New Years Eve Lowering of the Opossum
- PETA Files Lawsuit to Stop Opossum Drop
- 'Possum drop' to ring in new year in North Carolina mountain town
- Clay County Opossum Exclusion/Wildlife Laws.
- "House grants Possum Drop loophole from wildlife regs". Retrieved 2014-05-28.
|This article about a North Carolina politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|