Roger Wilson (bishop)
Born into an ecclesiastical family, he was educated at Winchester College and Keble College, Oxford; made deacon in Advent 1935 (22 December), by Albert David, Bishop of Liverpool, at Prescot Parish Church; and ordained priest the following Advent (20 December), by Herbert Jones, Bishop of Warrington, at Liverpool Cathedral. After curacies at St Paul’s, Princes Park, Liverpool, and St John's, Smith Square, he was vicar of South Shore, Blackpool, and archdeacon of Nottingham before his appointment to the episcopate. He was consecrated a bishop on St Mark's Day 1949 (25 April), by Cyril Garbett, Archbishop of York, at York Minster, becoming Bishop of Wakefield in succession to Henry McGowan. When George Bell retired in 1958 he was enthroned as Lord Bishop of Chichester, until his own retirement in 1974.
- The Times, Tuesday, Apr 26, 1949; pg. 7; Issue 51365; col C Consecration of the Bishop of Wakefield
- Diocesan web site Archived 2007-07-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Bishop Of Chichester Nominated Choice Of Dr. R. P. Wilson The Times Tuesday, Nov 26, 1957; pg. 10; Issue 54008; col D
- His father was Clifford Plumpton Wilson, priest and canon > “Who was Who” 1897-1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 0-7136-3457-X
- "Advent ordinations". Church Times (#3805). 27 December 1935. p. 745. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 November 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Advent ordinations". Church Times (#3857). 24 December 1936. p. 749. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 November 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Day of consecrations / picture caption". Church Times (#4499). 29 April 1949. p. 265. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 10 November 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- The Right Reverend Roger Wilson, obituary, Daily Telegraph, 2 March 2003
- Michael De-la-Noy (4 March 2002). "Obituary: The Rt Rev Roger Wilson". the Guardian. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- Dixon, HR (1974). "Provincial Grand Lodge from 1855". The History of Freemasonry in Sussex. Brighton: Provincial Grand Lodge of Sussex. p. 115.
- "Grand Officers Alphabetically Arranged". United Grand Lodge of England: Masonic Year Book (edition 1986-1987) (1986-1987 ed.). London: UGLE. 1986.
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Wakefield
1949 – 1958
| Bishop of Chichester
1958 – 1974
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|