Roger de Clinton
|Roger de Clinton|
|Bishop of Coventry|
|Term ended||16 April 1148|
|Other posts||Archdeacon, either of Buckingham or Lincoln|
|Consecration||22 December 1129|
|Died||16 April 1148|
Roger de Clinton (died 1148) was a medieval Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. He was responsible for organising a new grid street plan for the town of Lichfield in the 12th century which survives to this day.
Clinton had been an archdeacon before his elevation to the episcopate, either of Buckingham (1119–1129) or of Lincoln (c.1129). Geoffrey de Clinton was said to have promised King Henry three thousand marks if the king would appoint Roger a bishop. Roger was nominated in October 1129, and consecrated on 22 December 1129. Roger was part of the deputation to the papal curia in 1139 that defended King Stephen of England against the charge of breaking his oath to the Empress Matilda. Another member of the delegation included Arnulf of Lisieux, who was an archdeacon at the time, but who presented the case. Roger also attended the Second Lateran Council in 1139. The Gesta Stephani claimed that Roger was heavily involved in military affairs during the reign of King Stephen.
- Barlow English Church p. 87
- Cantor Church Kingship and Lay Investiture p. 292 footnote 115
- Bartlett England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings p. 400
- Chibnall Anglo-Norman England p. 80
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 253
- Schriber Dilemma of Arnulf of Lisieux p. 16
- Barlow English Church p. 112
- Burton Monastic and Religious Orders p. 229
- Barlow, Frank (1979). The English Church 1066–1154: A History of the Anglo-Norman Church. New York: Longman. ISBN 0-582-50236-5.
- Bartlett, Robert C. (2000). England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings: 1075–1225. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-822741-8.
- Burton, Janet (1994). Monastic and Religious Orders in Britain: 1000–1300. Cambridge Medieval Textbooks. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-37797-8.
- Cantor, Norman F. (1958). Church, Kingship, and Lay Investiture in England 1089–1135. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. OCLC 186158828.
- Chibnall, Marjorie (1986). Anglo-Norman England 1066–1166. Oxford, UK: Basil Blackwell Publishers. ISBN 0-631-15439-6.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Schriber, Carolyn Poling (1990). The Delimma of Arnulf of Lisieux: New Ideas versus Old Ideals. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. ISBN 0-253-35097-2.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Coventry