Rogers High School (Rhode Island)
|Rogers High School|
|Newport, Rhode Island
|Type||Public High School|
|Principal||Jeffrey B. Goss|
|Enrollment||611 as of 2012-13|
|Color(s)||Red and Black|
|Rival||Middletown High School|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
Rogers High School is a public high school in Newport, Rhode Island. Other public high schools include the Paul Crowley MET School and the Career & Technical School.
The school was founded by educator William Sanford Rogers in 1873 and was named for him. The original Rogers High School building was on Church Street. The school moved to a building Broadway in 1905 and the old building became the Thayer School and later a Boys and Girls Club. In 1957, the school moved to its current location on Wickham Road and the old Broadway building became the location for Thompson Middle School. An expansion to the school, The Newport Area Career and Technical Center, was completed in 1968.
The school's newspaper The Red and Black was first published in 1920, but ceased regular publication in the early 2000s.
The school began their football program in 1890 and their basketball program in 1905.
"Fair Rogers " is sung at every commencement ceremony. Words by Harold B. Walcott, Music by H.S. Hendy.
Fair Rogers! Rogers Fair! Thy name... Shall ever stand for holy fame... From childhood's day we've looked to thee... As up to some great deity.
O sing! Ye sons of Rogers! sing... Loud let your rolling anthems ring... And royal praise to Rogers bring... Throughout our city fair.
- Bebe Buell - model, singer, mother of actress Liv Tyler
- Frank Corridon - Major League Baseball pitcher (1904-1910)
- The Cowsills - 1960s singing act
- Tanya Donelly - co-founder and guitarist of the band Throwing Muses, lead vocalist of the band Belly and the guitarist for The Breeders
- Joanna Going - actress
- Tom Gore - actor
- Paul Gordon - keyboardist and guitarist with the B52's and New Radicals
- Kristin Hersh - co-founder, vocalist, and guitarist of the band Throwing Muses
- P. H. Horgan III - PGA Tour player
- Van Johnson - actor
- John Mellekas - professional football player
- Kristina Monllos - staff writer at Adweek
- David Narcizo - drummer for the band Throwing Muses
- M. Teresa Paiva-Weed - President of the Rhode Island Senate
- Jerry Sullivan - sports columnist at The Buffalo News
- William Stevens Lawton - Graduated from Rogers in 1917 and attained the rank of Lieutenant General in the United States Army
- Josephine Silone Yates - The first black student at Rogers High School, she later became the first black woman to head a college science department