This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Nagothane, Kolad|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Raigad|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Shrivardhan|
Roha (English: //) is a small city and taluka in the Raigad district of the Maharashtra state of India. It is located 120 km southeast of Mumbai. It is the starting point of kokan railways and end point of central railways(Mumbai). Many chemical industries have opened up their manufacturing bases in Roha. Roha is located between the banks of the Kundalika River and the hills of Kalasgiri. It has a population of over 1,40,000.
Roha is very well known for its Dhavir Temple. Dhavir Maharaj is the prime deity of Roha. Every year the town celebrates Navaratri by holding a ten-day festival called Dasra at the Dhavir Temple. On the day following Dasra, a palkhi (sedan chair) carrying the statute of Dhavir Maharaj is taken through the town where it visits each house for the aarti. It is presumably, only after Durga, Kokatta, that the palkhi is given government salaami (21 gun salute) with full honours.
Hanuman Tekadi:- A beautiful temple of Lord Hanuman is built on a hill (Tekadi). At its top, the full city of Roha can be seen, as well as panoramic views of the city and the sunset. The road to the top is a popular route for morning and evening walks among residents of Roha.
The Kundalika is a small river flowing from the Hills of Sahyadri to the Arabian Sea. This river originates at a small town called Bhira in the Indian State of Maharashtra, 150 km south east of Mumbai. Roha is located on the banks of Kundalika. The river is gaining popularity in recent times due to the rafting opportunities it provides during certain months at Kolad, a place on the National Highway no 17, about 10 km from Roha.
Pujya Pandurang Vaijnath Shastri Athavale was born on 19 October 1920 in the village of Roha. He was an Indian philosopher, spiritual leader, social reformer and Hinduism reformist, who founded the Swadhyay Movement and the Swadhyay Parivar organization.
Another notable resident was C. D. Deshmukh, Governor of RBI (1943) and Union Finance Minister of India (1950−56) who spent his childhood in Roha.
Avchitgad:- The fort is situated near Roha. At the base of this fort is a village called Medha. The approximate height of this fort is 977 feet It is a fairly easy trek through the jungle up to the fort which takes about an hour to climb. The great Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji is also believed to have reconstructed this fort. The work was carried out in a hurry and hence the name 'Avchit' (hurry) 'gad' (fort).
Roha has a huge industrial setup. This area is a Chemical Industry Zone as declared by Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC), which was set up in the 1970s is located at Dhatav. Roha Industrial Area has many industrial units. Majority of these are chemical process industries. The late '70s and early '80s saw a major influx of people related to the chemicals industry which gave a unique cosmopolitan nature to Roha which was till then only a farming and trading town. The recession of the early 2000s saw many units being closed down. However several Industries are still operating.
Some major Industries are:
• Albright & Wilson Chemicals India Ltd. • Kores India Ltd. • Anek Prayog Pvt. Ltd • Neelicon Food Dyes & Chemicals Ltd. • Anshul Speciality Molecules Ltd. • Pepsico India Holdings(P) Ltd. • DRT Anthea Aroma Chemicals • Raptakos Brett & Co. Ltd. • BEC Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. • Rathi Dye Chem Ltd. • Calchem Industries (India) Ltd. • Roha Dye Chem Pvt. Ltd. • Clariant Chemicals (India) Ltd. • Sadhana Nitro Chem Ltd. • Deepak Nitrite Ltd. • Sempertrans Nirlon Ltd. • Dharamsi Morarji Chemical Company Ltd. • Sudarshan Chemicals India Ltd. • Excel Industries Ltd. • Taskar Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. • FDC Ltd. • Unichem Laboratories Ltd. • Kisan Irrigation Ltd. • Iftex Oil & Chemicals Ltd.
Due to dire need of GST, internal audit, stock audit and Income Tax related knowledge in this area for such a big MIDC and industrial setup as well as the ancillary businesses, a branch of authorised Chartered Accountancy Firm called "APMH & Associates LLP" was setup in 2012.
The major schools in the region are J M Rathi English School, Mehendale High School and K.E.S English Medium School. These schools have several alumni working all over the world.
Places of tourist interest
- Dhavir Temple
- Bande ali Temple - Roha
- Kolad - 12 km (river rafting and adventure activities)
- The Birla Temple, Salav - 36 km
- Nandgaon and Kashid Beaches - 50 km
- Alibaug Beaches of Kihim and Mandwa - 50 km
- Murud Janjira Fort - 36 km
- Pali Ashtavinayak Ganesh Mandir - 30 km
|Climate data for Roha|
|Average high °C (°F)||29.1
|Daily mean °C (°F)||23.8
|Average low °C (°F)||18.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||0
|Source: Climate-Data.org (altitude: 9m)|
Summers are hot and humid with temperatures touching 37-39 degree celcius.Rains are pretty heavtly during monsoon .Winters are not so chilly with temperatures falling to 11-12 c.Average annual rainfall in Roha is 3450mm
- 09459/Tirunelveli - Gandhidham Suvidha Special via Mangaluru, Madgaon, Panvel
- Mumbai LTT - Madgaon AC Double Decker Express
- Bikaner - Coimbatore SF AC Express
- 22629/Mumbai Dadar (T.) - Tirunelveli SF Express via Madgaon, Mangaluru
|Next small station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway||Next small station from Mumbai:
|Distance from Mumbai (CST) = 0123 km|
|Next main station towards Mumbai:
|Konkan Railway||Next main station from Mumbai:
- "धावीर माझा रोह्याचा राजा (Dhavir Majha)". Facebook.
- "Climate: Roha - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Murud Janjira"
- "Fort Raigad"
- BBC article
- "History of Dhavir Temple on Roha website"
- "Roha Website - First of its kind dedicated to Roha" Not the correct link its opens at chines pages.
- Ghosalgad (The Fort)( Just 10 km away from Roha on Murud road via Bhalgaon)