|Born||15 December 1969|
|Other names||Rohini Molleti|
|Occupation||Actress, lyricist, screenwriter, voice actress, director|
|Children||Rishi Varan (b. 1998)|
Rohini is an Indian actress, lyricist, screenwriter, voice actor and director. She has mainly acted in south Indian, notably Malayalam and Tamil films. Having started her acting career at five, she has about 130 south Indian films to her credit. She received National Award of Special mention and Andhra Pradesh State Award for Best Female Actor in 1996 for the film Sthree.
A native of Anakapalli, Andhra Pradesh Rohini spent all her childhood in Chennai. Her father Ravu Naidu was a panchyat officer and mother Saraswathi was a housewife. Her father always wanted to become an actor, though he couldn't be an actor he encouraged his daughter to become an actress and he fulfilled his ambition through his daughter. Her mother died when she was five years old and father remarried later.
She was married to well known actor Raghuvaran in 1996 and they have a son Rishi Varan born in 1998. The couple later got separated and divorced in 2004.
She started her career in 1976 as a child artist. She was first seen as a wide-eyed five year old in Yashoda Krishna, a Telugu film. She is also a popular dubbing artist in the Telugu and Tamil industries. She has voiced six characters in five of Mani Ratnam's films. She lent her voice to actresses like Jyothika (Vettaiyadu Villaiyadu), Aishwarya Rai (Iruvar and Raavanan), Manisha Koirala (Bombay) and Amala (Shiva). She has also dubbed for Girija Shettar in Mani Rathnam's only Telugu movie till date Geethanjali.
She wrote lyrics for the Tamil film Pachaikili Muthucharam, before ending another hiatus by writing all songs in the album, Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey. Her acting skills were recognized and she was given the Kalaimamani award recently.
She writes episodes for Tamil TV serials. She started writing scripts for TV series way back in 1996, and has adapted the Sahithya Academy Award winning novel Verukku Neer for a tele film in 2005. She hosted the live TV talk show Kelvigal Aayiram for Vijay TV, which she said "dealt with issues close to my heart". She moderated the Tamil programme Azhagiya Tamizh Magal on Kalaignar TV and has worked as the anchor of Raj TV’s show, Rohini’s Box Office in which she reviewed the latest releases.
Being an activist for AIDS awareness, Rohini has also directed short films for M.G.R. Medical University and Tamil Nadu Aids Control Society. In 2008, Rohini had directed a 50-minute documentary Silent Hues about film industry’s child artists, she being one herself. In 2013, she has directed a feature film Appavin Meesai which is yet to be released.
- 1995 National Film Award - Special Mention - Stri
- 2017-Vanitha Film Awards - Best supporting actress (Guppy, Action hero biju)
- 2017-CPC Awards for Best supporting actress (Guppy, Action hero biju)
- As actress
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|1975||Yashoda Krishna||Krishna||Telugu||Child artist|
|1976||Bhakta Kannappa||Telugu||Child artist|
|1976||Mayor Meenakshi||Tamil||Child artist|
|1977||Adavi Ramudu||Dumb girl||Telugu||Child artist|
|1979||Maavari Manchitanam||Telugu||Child artist|
|1979||Laxmi Pooja||Telugu||Child artist|
|1980||Talli Deevena||Telugu||Child artist|
|1981||Pedala Brathukulu||Telugu||Child artist|
|1981||Nyayam Kavali||Saroja||Telugu||Child artist|
|1982||Madhura Swapnam||Seethalu||Telugu||Child artist|
|1982||Bhakta Dhruva Markandeya||Telugu|
|1984||Thirakil Alpa Samayam||Amina||Malayalam|
|1984||Parannu Parannu Parannu||Mini / Jessy / Sreekutty||Malayalam|
|1984||Oru Kochu Swapnam||Malayalam|
|1984||Arante Mulla Kochu Mulla||Rohini||Malayalam|
|1985||Adhyayam Onnu Muthal||Rema||Malayalam|
|1985||Gaayathridevi Ente Amma||Priya||Malayalam|
|1985||Ee Thanalil Ithiri Neram||Leena||Malayalam|
|1985||Ivide Ee Theerathu||Sreedevi||Malayalam|
|1985||Oru Sandesam Koodi||Rema||Malayalam|
|1985||Ee Lokam Ivide Kure Manushyar||Sheela||Malayalam|
|1985||Ee Shabdam Innathe Shabdam||Pushpa||Malayalam|
|1986||Ponnum Kudathinum Pottu||Rani||Malayalam|
|1986||Thaaiku Oru Thaalaattu||Chellam||Tamil|
|1987||Onnaam Maanam Poomaanam||Rajasree||Malayalam|
|1987||January Oru Orma||Maina||Malayalam|
|1987||Achuvettante Veedu||Aswathy Nair||Malayalam|
|1987||Chamundeshwari Pooja Mahime||Kumari Malathi||Kannada|
|1988||Jadi Ketha Moodi||Tamil|
|1988||Onninu Purake Mattonnu||Sudha||Malayalam|
|1989||Kali Kaaryamayi-Crime Branch||Sunitha||Malayalam|
|1991||Thanthu Vitten Ennai||Surya||Tamil|
|1992||Rendu Pondatti Kaavalkaaran||Rukmini||Tamil|
|1994||CID Unnikrishnan B.A., B.Ed.||Arundathi Nair||Malayalam|
|1995||Stri||Telugu||National Film Award – Special Mention|
|2007||Onbadhu Roobai Nottu||Kameela||Tamil|
|2007||Rock & Roll||Nirmala||Malayalam|
|2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Sulochana||Malayalam|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Sulochana||Malayalam|
|2011||City of God||Lakshmi||Malayalam|
|2011||Innanu Aa Kalyanam||Lillykutty||Malayalam|
|2012||Shiva Manasulo Shruti||Shiva's mother||Telugu|
|2012||Diamond Necklace||Dr. Savithri||Malayalam|
|2012||18 Vayasu||Dr. Suchithra||Tamil|
|2013||Black Butterfly||Benny's mother||Malayalam|
|2013||Jagadguru Adi Shankara||Sankara's mother||Telugu|
|2013||Anthaka Mundu Aa Tarvatha||Sujatha||Telugu|
|2014||Kotha Janta||Sirish's Mother||Telugu|
|2014||Oka Laila Kosam||Nandana's mother||Telugu|
|2014||Chinnadana Nee Kosam||Nandhini's mother||Telugu|
|2014||Ormayundo Ee Mukham||Vasundhara Devi||Malayalam|
|2015||Sir C. P.||Kochu Mary||Malayalam|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Shivudu's mother (Sanga)||Telugu
|2016||Nenu Sailaja||Sailaja's Mom||Telugu|
|2016||Action Hero Biju||Maid||Malayalam|
|2016||Balle Vellaiyathevaa||Sakthi's mother||Tamil|
|2016||Achamindri||Tamizh Selvi, Lawyer||Tamil|
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion||Shivu's mother (Sanga)||Telugu
|2017||Role Models||Shreya's mother||Malayalam|
|2018||Rangasthalam||Chitti Babu`s mother||Telugu|
|2018||Abhi & Anu
Abhiyude Katha Anuvinteyum
|2018||Goli Soda 2||Inbavalli's mother||Tamil|
|2018||Chi La Sow||Telugu|
- As lyricist
- 2007 - Pachaikili Muthucharam (1 song)
- 2009 - Villu (1 song)
- 2012 - Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey (all songs)
- 2013 - 11th Chennai International Film Festival Anthem (Song composed by Prakash Nikki)
- As director
- 2008 - Silent Hues (documentary film)
- 2017 - Appavin Meesai
- As dubbing artiste
- 1989 - Geethanjali (for Girija Shettar)
- 1989 - Shiva (for Amala)
- 1992 - April 1 Vidudala (for Shobana)
- 1992 - Meera (for Aishwarya)
- 1993 - Gentleman (for Madhubala)
- 1994 - May Madham (for Sonali Kulkarni)
- 1995 - Bombay (for Manisha Koirala)
- 1995 - Kuruthipunal (for Gowthami)
- 1996 - Kalloori Vaasal (for Pooja Bhatt)
- 1996 - Indian(for Manisha Koirala)
- 1996 - Kadhal Kottai (for Heera Rajagopal)
- 1996 - Iruvar (for Aishwarya Rai)
- 2006 - Vettaiyadu Villaiyadu (for Jyothika)
- 2007 - Pachaikili Muthucharam (for Andrea Jeremiah)
- 2007 - Guru (for Aishwarya Rai)
- 2010 - Raavanan (for Aishwarya Rai)
- 2011 - Mappillai (2011 film) (for Manisha Koirala)
- Ganga (Sun TV) Screenplay & Direction
- Nerukku Neer - Telefilm (Dordarshan) Screenplay & Lyrics
- Kelvigal Aayiram (Vijay TV)
- Azhagiya Tamizh Magal (Kalaignar TV)
- Rohini’s Box Office (Raj TV)
- Kelvigal Neram (Vendhar TV)
- Kadha Ithu Vare (Mazhavil Manorama)
- Comedy Stars season 2 (Asianet) as Judge
- "Welcome To Amrita TV - Super Dancer Junior 3". Amritatv.com. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Rohini makes documentary film on child artists". The Hindu. 2008-01-09. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Documentary on child artists". Indiaglitz. 2008-01-08. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Metro Plus Hyderabad / Profiles : Actor with substance". The Hindu. 2010-09-14. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "ഈ ജീവിതം മകനുവേണ്ടി..." mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- Baradwaj Rangan (2011-08-25). "Roles of a lifetime". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Rohini's Meesai". Behindwoods. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Girl power, Tamil style!". Rediff. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- Gupta, Rinku (2011-08-22). "Rohini returns to TV". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Exploring "fragile world" of child actors". The Hindu. 2008-02-17. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "''I cannot do a film like Thuppakki'', Rohini, Appavin Meesai". Behindwoods. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "43rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 6 March 2012.