The word "rohit" signifies the color red. It is derived from Sanskrit, meaning "the first rays of the sun". The early morning sunlight usually has a reddish tint. It is also said to be derived from the Sanskrit word Rohitah (रोहित:) which signifies a red coloured deer – a form which Brahma once took. Sanskrit pronunciation: [ˈɽoːɦɪtɐ].
Rohit is also one of the names of the Hindu God Vishnu, when he is said to have first arrived on earth as a beautiful red fish. It appears in the Vishnu Sahasranam (विष्णु सहस्रणाम, "1000 names of Vishnu"). Rohit also means a person who leads his family to growth and development (a commonly held belief in Hindu families). Rohit was also the name of one of Krishna's sons.
- Nara Rohit – Tollywood actor
- Rohit Bal – Indian fashion designer
- Rohit Chadda - Indian Entrepreneur & Investor
- Rohit Chand – Nepali football player
- Rohit Jivanlal Parikh – a mathematician, logician, and philosopher of Indian origin
- Rohit Roy – Indian television star
- Rohit Sharma – Indian cricketer
- Rohit Shetty – Indian film director, presenter and cinematographer
- Rohit Purohit - Indian Television Actor
- Rohit Gupta – Indian film director, producer and editor
- Rohit "Ro" Khanna – a U.S. Congressman from Fremont, California
- Rohit Varma – Indian American ophthalmologist