14 March 1973 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Film director, cinematographer, producer|
|Parent(s)||M. B. Shetty
Rohit Shetty (born 14 March 1973) is an Indian film director and cinematographer. His work as a filmmaker include the films Golmaal, Golmaal Returns, Golmaal 3, Singham, Bol Bachchan, Singham Returns, Chennai Express and Dilwale, which is currently the sixth highest grossing Bollywood film worldwide, for which he was nominated for Filmfare Award for Best Director.
He started his career at the age of 17 as an assistant director with Kuku Kohli during Phool Aur Kaante (Ajay Devgan's debut film that costarred Madhoo). Then he assisted him in Ek Aur Kohinoor, which was never released. He also worked with him on Suhaag (Ajay, Akshay Kumar, Karisma Kapoor), Haqeeqat (1995) (Ajay, Tabu) and Zulmi (Akshay, Twinkle Khanna).
Shetty directed his debut feature film, Zameen, as an independent director with Devgan in 2003 at the age of 30. Zameen did average business at the boxoffice. He rose to fame after he directed the 2006 comedy film, Golmaal: Fun Unlimited starring Devgn, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor and Sharman Joshi.
In 2008, he directed his third film, Sunday, starring Devgn, Warsi and Ayesha Takia. Sunday was a comic-thriller. Shetty's second 2008 project, was the sequel to Golmaal, titled Golmaal Returns. The sequel featured most of the original cast, except Sharman Joshi, who was replaced by Shreyas Talpade, and starred Kareena Kapoor. Golmaal Returns. In 2009, he released All the Best: Fun Begins. In 2010, Shetty directed Golmaal 3. Shetty's 2011 Singham also featured Devgn in the title role, as a Police Inspector fighting against corruption. Singham was praised for the action sequences and direction, and Devgn's performance. His next release, Bol Bachchan, is a comedy-drama starring Devgn and Abhishek Bachchan. Bol Bachchan was a commercial success in India.
Shetty's Chennai Express, starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone, was released on 9 August 2013. Chennai Express became the highest-grossing Bollywood film in the domestic market. The film earned over US$17.4 million to become the third-highest grossing Bollywood film overseas. The film also set a number of box office records, for the highest opening-day gross, highest paid preview, highest single-day gross, biggest opening weekend, highest opening week and the fastest film to reach ₹100 crore and ₹2 billion in the domestic market.
Shetty directed Singham Returns with Ajay Devgan, a sequel to his 2011 film Singham. He was also a part of the 5th season of television stunt game show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi in 2014 as the host taking over from the previous host Akshay Kumar. In 2014, he turned into a producer with Singham Returns, co-producing the film under his banner Rohit Shetty Productions.He reprised his part as host of the 6th season of television stunt game show Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi.
- As director
|2003||Zameen||Ajay Devgan, Abhishek Bachchan, Bipasha Basu|
|2006||Golmaal||Ajay Devgan, Arshad Warsi, Sharman Joshi, Tusshar Kapoor, Rimi Sen|
|2008||Sunday||Ajay Devgan, Ayesha Takia, Arshad Warsi|
|2008||Golmaal Returns||Ajay Devgan, Kareena Kapoor, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor, Shreyas Talpade|
|2009||All The Best: Fun Begins||Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, Fardeen Khan, Bipasha Basu, Mugdha Godse|
|2010||Golmaal 3||Ajay Devgan, Kareena Kapoor, Arshad Warsi, Tusshar Kapoor, Shreyas Talpade, Kunal Khemu|
|2011||Singham||Ajay Devgn, Kajal Aggarwal, Prakash Raj|
|2012||Bol Bachchan||Ajay Devgn, Asin, Abhishek Bachchan, Prachi Desai|
|2013||Chennai Express||Shahrukh Khan, Deepika Padukone|
|2014||Singham Returns||Ajay Devgn, Kareena Kapoor||Co-produced with Ajay Devgn|
|2015||Dilwale||Shahrukh Khan, Kajol, Varun Dhawan, Kriti Sanon||Co-produced with Shahrukh Khan|
|2017||Golmaal Again||Ajay Devgn||Pre-Production,
Scheduled to release on 'Diwali 2017'.
|2012||Big Switch - Season 3||Godfather|
|2014||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (season 5)||Host|
|2015||Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi (season 6)||Host|
- "Rohit Shetty opts for working birthday". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Chennai Express collections: Blockbuster man Rohit Shetty". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "18th from the left in the seventh row". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "I can't act: Rohit Shetty". Mid-Day. 13 November 2009. Retrieved 16 March 2011.
- "In my family, we are all ready to uproot handpumps: Rohit Shetty". Hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Pereira, Priyanka (22 June 2011). "Action Reloaded". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Rohit Shetty Filmography". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Adarsh, Taran (2 October 2003). "Box Office Business Talks: 'Zameen' Did The Navratri Festival Affect Its Business?". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2016-09-01.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Singham". bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Bol Bachchan makes big noise at box-office". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "SRK-Rohit film sold for 105 crore - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Rohit Shetty open to Bol Bachchan sequel". Hindustantimes.com. 10 July 2012.
- "Bollywood's 100 Crore Club | 100 Crore Movies | Bollywood's Fastest 100 Crores". Koimoi.com. 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Chennai Express Has Extraordinary Weekend Overseas Archived 17 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "'Chennai Express' breaks multiple records - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-08-14. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- Kotwani, Hiren. "'I slash points for double meaning statements'". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Ajay Devgn, Rohit Shetty team up for Singham 2 | Bollywood News | Hindi Movies News | News". BollywoodHungama.com. 2013-06-08. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "'Khatron Ke Khiladi 5' is mix of stunts and entertainment: Rohit Shetty". DNA. Retrieved 22 March 2014.
- "Ajay Devgn and Rohit Shetty announce 'Golmaal Again'". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Rohit, Ajay’s Golmaal 4 set to release on Diwali 2017"
- Harshikaa Udasi (2011-12-22). "Mentoring the penniless Richie Rich". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Meet the contestants of Fear Factor-Khatron Ke Khiladi 5 - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rohit Shetty.|