This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Traded as||TYO: 4527|
|Industry||Fast-moving consumer goods and pharmaceutical industry|
|Founded||Higashinari-ku, Osaka, Japan (September 15, 1949, to reorganize "Shintendo, Yasutami Yamada pharmaceutical Company")|
|Headquarters||Ikuno-ku, Osaka, Japan|
Number of employees
|5,518 (March 31, 2013)|
|Footnotes / references|
Rohto Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (ロート製薬株式会社 Rōto Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha) is a multinational fast-moving consumer goods and OTC pharmaceutical corporation headquartered in Ikuno-ku, Osaka, Japan, with a presence in North America, Europe and Asia. The company is listed on the stock exchange having posted steady increases in revenues from ¥95,619 million in 2006 to ¥120,292 million in 2011. Skin Care contributes to 61.3% of the revenues while Eye Care contributes to 21% of their sales.
Rohto is active in the three consumer segments of:
- Beauty (through cosmetics)
- Health (through food supplements)
- Healing (through over-the-counter drugs)
In 1974, Rohto set its eyes on The Mentholatum Company. In August 1975, it acquired the trademark rights to Mentholatum and began to sell the Mentholatum Ointment and Mentholatum Medicated Lip Stick, which proved to be a financial success as the company's revenue skyrocketed to ¥2.64 billion by April 1981. Rohto Pharmaceutical Co. continued to acquire the management rights to The Mentholatum Company Inc in June 1988, thus completing the merge.
Rohto group has established operations in 15 major markets, with marketing/distribution agreements in more than 150 countries globally. They have two production plants in Japan and 6 production plants across US, UK, China, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Indonesia.
Rohto entered the Vietnam market in 1997 and set up their manufacturing base to cater to the Asia Pacific market. In mid-2010, Rohto entered the India market and started operations in the lipcare and skin care segment, with their internationally popular brands, Lipice and Oxy. Simultaneously they also entered the Bangladesh market.
With a strong presence across international markets, the company has a manpower strength of close to 5000 employees.
Yasutami Yamada (山田 安民 Yamada Yasutami) founded "Shintendo, Yasutami Yamada Pharmaceutical Company (信天堂山田安民薬房)", the predecessor of Rohto, in Shimizucho, Higashi-ku (present: Shinsaibashi, Chuo-ku), Osaka on February 22, 1899. Yamada sold "Rohto Eyedrops" in 1909. "Rohto" was named after August von Rothmund,[note 1] a German ophthalmologist who was a professor for Toyotaro Inoue (井上 豊太郎 Inoue Toyotarō), a Japanese ophthalmologist.
- Lipice: The best selling Lip Care line in Japan, China, HK, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand & Indonesia.
- Oxy B: Anti-acne products(acquired the OXY Skin Care branding from GlaxoSmithKline in December 2005)
- Rohto Eyedrops: including the highly acclaimed Rohto Zi (Awarded "Best New Eyecare Product" in the 1999 Superdrug Health & Beauty Awards)
- Sunplay: Full range of sunscreen daily sun care and after sun products providing best UV protection for different outdoor occasions
- BodyIce: Deodorant roll-on and mists
- Mentholatum: Full range of Men's skin care for face and body
- Selsun: Anti-dandruff shampoo
- Acnelogy: pimples treatment (Acne + Dermatology.It includes 3 skincare steps (Conditioning Foam, Acne Care Lotion, Concentrate Essence)
Head Office and Subsidiaries
- Rohto Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (Japan - Parent Company)
- Mentholatum Australasia Pty. Ltd.(Australia)
- The Mentholatum Company Ltd. (UK)
- The Mentholatum Company of (Canada), Limited
- The Mentholatum (China) Pharmaceuticals Co., Ltd.
- Mentholatum Asia Pacific Ltd. (Hong Kong)
- Rohto Pharma (India) Private Limited
- Mentholatum de (Mexico), S.A. de C.V.
- Mentholatum (South Africa) Pty. Ltd.
- Mentholatum Taiwan Ltd. (Taiwan)
- PT Rohto Laboratories (Indonesia)
- Rohto-Mentholatum (Vietnam) Co., Ltd.
- Rohto-Mentholatum (Malaysia) SDN BHD.
- Rohto-Mentholatum (Thailand) Ltd.
- Rohto-Mentholatum (Bangladesh) Limited
- Dax Cosmetics Sp. z o.o. (Poland) Limited
- In Japanese, August von Rothmund was known as アウグスト・フォン・ロートムント (Augusuto-fon-Rōtomunto).