Rohwer War Relocation Center on the flat Delta horizon
|Elevation||46 m (151 ft)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||58514|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rohwer, Arkansas|
The area was a Japanese internment camp, designed during World War II by the architect Edward F. Neild of Shreveport, Louisiana. The camp opened in March 1942. It is now the site of the Rohwer War Relocation Center.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Rohwer has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
The McGehee School District serves Rohwer.
Previously the Delta Special School District served Rohwer. The district had two schools, Delta Elementary School and Delta High School. In 2004 the Arkansas Legislature approved a law that forced school districts with fewer than 350 students apiece to consolidate with other districts. On July 1, 2004, the Delta Special district merged into the McGehee district. After the acquisition of the Delta Special School District, the McGehee district continued to operate Delta Elementary School and Delta High School. By October 2005 the Delta campus became elementary only. By October 2006 the Delta campus was no longer in operation.
- Sheilla Lampkin, Arkansas state legislator, was born in Rohwer.
- George Takei, actor, lived as a child, at the Rohwer War Relocation Center.
- "Feature Detail Report for: Rohwer, Arkansas." USGS. U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Rohwer, Arkansas Retrieved January 20, 2011.
- Arkansas Atlas and Gazetteer (Map) (Second ed.). DeLorme. § 59.
- "Neild, Edward F". lahisatory.org. Retrieved April 18, 2015.
- Williams, Kim. "Commemorating Rohwer and Jerome." Government of Arkansas. April 15, 2013. Retrieved on April 17, 2013.
- Climate Summary for Rohwer, Arkansas
- "2002-2003 Arkansas Education Directory." Arkansas Department of Education. 54. Retrieved on March 6, 2011. "189 DELTA LANE ROHWER, AR 7166"
- "Dumas inherits Gould district’s deficit." Arkansas News. May 11, 2005. Retrieved on March 7, 2011.
- "The MHS Alumni Café." McGehee School District. Retrieved on July 27, 2011. "FYI... The Delta Special (Desha Central) and Arkansas City School Districts Consolidated with the McGehee School District as a result of a state mandate in 2004-2005."
- "Consolidation/Annexations of LEA's (1983-2010)." Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved on March 6, 2011.
- "Campuses." McGehee School District. August 28, 2004. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- "Campuses." McGehee School District. October 18, 2005. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- Campuses." McGehee School District. October 15, 2006. Retrieved on July 28, 2011.
- Sheilla Lampkin-obituary