Roland Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe
|The Lord Ashcombe|
|Born||26 January 1899|
|Died||28 October 1962(aged 63)|
1. Sonia Rosemary Keppel|
2. Idina Joan Mills (née Myddleton)
3. Jean Baylis (née Garland)
|Father||Henry Cubitt, 2nd Baron Ashcombe|
Roland Calvert Cubitt, 3rd Baron Ashcombe DL (26 January 1899 – 28 October 1962) was a member of the British aristocracy. He became Baron Ashcombe on the death of his father Henry Cubitt, 2nd Baron Ashcombe, in 1947. He is also the maternal grandfather of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (born Camilla Shand), now the wife of Charles, Prince of Wales.
Education and career
Cubitt was educated at Eton and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. He was a Lieutenant in the Coldstream Guards, and was appointed to be a Deputy Lieutenant in 1939 and held office as Vice-Lord Lieutenant of Surrey in 1940.
On 16 November 1920 he married Sonia Rosemary Keppel, daughter of Hon. George Keppel and his wife Alice Keppel, at the Guard's Chapel, Wellington Barracks in London. They divorced in 1947 after having three children:
- The Hon. Rosalind Maud Cubitt (1921–1994) m. Major Bruce Middleton Hope Shand and had three children:
- The Hon. Henry Edward Cubitt (1924–2013) (who succeeded as the 4th Baron Ashcombe on the death of his father) m. Ghislaine Alexander (née Dresselhuys, later the Rt. Hon. The Baroness Foley) (ex-wife of Denis Alexander, 6th Earl of Caledon)
- The Hon. Jeremy John Cubitt (1927–1958) m. Diana Edith Du Cane and had a child:
- Sarah Victoria Cubitt (b. 1953)
He married secondly, on 6 August 1948, Idina Joan Mills who died in 1954. (former wife of Lieut. John Charles Trueman Mills), daughter of Col. Robert Edward Middleton, and his wife Lady Violet Wellesley.
He married thirdly, on 2 July 1959, Jean Baylis (former wife of Greville Pollard Baylis), daughter of Charles Tuller Garland (d.1973)
Styles of address
- 1899–1917: Mr Roland Cubitt
- 1917–1939: The Honourable Roland Cubitt
- 1939–1947: The Honourable Roland Cubitt DL
- 1947–1962: The Right Honourable The Lord Ashcombe DL
Death and burial
He died on 28 October 1962 is buried in the churchyard of St Barnabas's Church, Ranmore Common, Surrey.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Ashcombe
|This biography of a baron in the peerage of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|