Roland Ries in 2016
|Mayor of Strasbourg|
22 March 2008 – 4 July 2020
|Preceded by||Fabienne Keller|
|Succeeded by||Jeanne Barseghian|
|Born||11 January 1945|
|Political party||Socialist Party|
|Alma mater||University of Strasbourg|
Roland Ries (born 11 January 1945) is a French politician from Alsace holding several posts on local, regional and national level since 1997.
A member of the Socialist Party and mayor of Strasbourg between 2008 and 2020 Ries also serves as the first President of the Strasbourg-Ortenau Eurodistrict's Council since 2010. Ries had already been the mayor of Strasbourg (and the President of the Urban Community of Strasbourg) between June 1997 and January 2000, filling in for Catherine Trautmann (whose deputy he had been since 1989) after she had become Minister of Culture and Communication in the government of Lionel Jospin.
Ries has furthermore been a Member of the Senate of France for the Bas-Rhin department between September and November 2004 and is again a Member since February 2005. Since 24 September 2008, Roland Ries is the president of the Association TGV Est-Européen. and was elected a member of the board of directors of the SNCF for a period of five years starting on 8 March 2013. Additionally, he served as the chairman of the Groupement des autorités responsables de transport (GART) from September 2008 until September 2014 and was elected president of the network of French cities Cités unies France in July 2014, for a duration of two years.
Member of the French Economic and Social Council : 2001-2003.
Senate of France
Senator of Bas-Rhin : Since 2004. Elected in 2004.
Regional councillor of Alsace : 1996-2004 (Resignation). Reelected in 1998, 2004.
Urban Community council
President of the Urban Community of Strasbourg : 1997-2001.
1st vice-président of the Urban Community of Strasbourg : Since 2008.
Vice-président of the Urban Community of Strasbourg : 1989-1997. Reelected in 1995.
Member of the Urban Community of Strasbourg : Since 1989. Reelected in 1995, 2001, 2008.
1st deputy-mayor of Strasbourg : 1989-1997. Reelected in 1995.
Municipal councillor of Strasbourg : Since 1983. Reelected in 1989, 1995, 2001, 2008.
President of the Strasbourg-Ortenau Eurodistrict : since 2010
- Jacques Fortier (2008-03-16). "La gauche reprend Strasbourg" (in French). Le Monde. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- Eurodistrict Strasbourg-Ortenau / Séance inaugurale du conseil, Les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace, 5 February 2010 (in French)
- Roland Ries, actupolitique.net (in French)
- La longue marche de Roland Ries, nouveau maire de Strasbourg, Les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace, 17 March 2008 (in French)
- RIES Roland, Sénateur du Bas-Rhin (Alsace), www.senat.fr (in French)
- Communiqué de l’Association TGV Est-Européen réunie en Assemblée générale le 24 septembre 2008 (in French)
- Roland Ries entre au conseil d'administration de la SNCF, mobilicites.com, 8 March 2013 (in French)
- Elected in September 2008 Re-elected in September 2011 Archived 2015-09-26 at the Wayback Machine Successor Louis Nègre elected in September 2014 (all retrieved on 25 September 2015)
- Roland Ries, nouveau président de Cités Unies France, dna.fr, retrieved on 26 July 2014 (in French); Roland Ries, sénateur-maire de Strasbourg, élu président de Cités Unies France, uclg.org/, retrieved on 26 July 2014 (in French)