Roland Stocker (born 5 October 1956 in Switzerland) is a Swiss Australian biochemist who discovered the antioxidant activity of bilirubin. He is a former Olympic rower and has represented Switzerland at the 1980 Summer Olympics.
Early life and education
Stocker was awarded a Diplom [im] Naturwissenschaften und Mathematik (Dipl. Natw.), or Diploma in/of Natural Science, from the ETH Zurich in 1981 and a Ph.D. from the Australian National University in 1985.
Stocker has made significant contributions to the understanding of the molecular action of Alpha-Tocopherol (vitamin E) during the oxidation of lipoproteins, the antioxidant activities of ubiquinol-10 in lipoproteins, the contribution of oxidation of low-density lipoprotein to atherosclerosis, the understanding of how antioxidants and heme oxygenase-1 protect against atherosclerosis, and the contribution of tryptophan metabolism by indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase to kynurenine in the regulation of vascular tone in inflammation.
Stocker's twin brother, Peter, was also an Olympic rower for Switzerland.
- Stocker R, Yamamoto Y, McDonagh AF, Glazer AN, Ames BN (1987). "Bilirubin is an antioxidant of possible physiological importance". Science. 235 (4792): 1043–6. PMID 3029864. doi:10.1126/science.3029864.
- Bowry VW, Ingold KU, Stocker R (1992). "Vitamin E in human low-density lipoprotein. When and how this antioxidant becomes a pro-oxidant". Biochem J. 288: 341–4. PMC . PMID 1463440.
- Ingold KU, Bowry VW, Stocker R, Walling C (1993). "Autoxidation of lipids and antioxidation by alpha-tocopherol and ubiquinol in homogeneous solution and in aqueous dispersions of lipids: unrecognized consequences of lipid particle size as exemplified by oxidation of human low density lipoprotein". Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 90 (1): 45–9. PMC . PMID 8419943. doi:10.1073/pnas.90.1.45.
- Stocker R, Bowry VW, Frei B (1991). "Ubiquinol-10 protects human low density lipoprotein more efficiently against lipid peroxidation than does alpha-tocopherol". PNAS. 88 (5): 1646–50. PMC . PMID 2000375. doi:10.1073/pnas.88.5.1646.
- Stocker R, Keaney JF Jr (2004). "Role of oxidative modifications in atherosclerosis". Physiol Rev. 84 (4): 1381–478. PMID 15383655. doi:10.1152/physrev.00047.2003.
- Wu BJ, Kathir K, Witting PK, Beck K, Choy K, Li C, Croft KD, Mori TA, Tanous D, Adams MR, Lau AK, Stocker R (2006). "Antioxidants protect from atherosclerosis by a heme oxygenase-1 pathway that is independent of free radical scavenging". J Exp Med. 203 (4): 1117–27. PMC . PMID 16606673. doi:10.1084/jem.20052321.
- Stocker R, Perrella MA (2006). "BHeme oxygenase-1: a novel drug target for atherosclerotic diseases?". Circulation. 114 (20): 2178–89. PMID 17101869. doi:10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.105.598698.
- Wang Y, Liu H, McKenzie G, Witting PK, Stasch JP, Hahn M, Changsirivathanathamrong D, Wu BJ, Ball HJ, Thomas SR, Kapoor V, Celermajer DS, Mellor AL, Keaney JF Jr, Hunt NH, Stocker R (2010). "Kynurenine is an endothelium-derived relaxing factor produced during inflammation". Nat Med. 16 (3): 279–85. PMC . PMID 20190767. doi:10.1038/nm.2092.
- Hunt NH (2011). "Redox pioneer: professor Roland Stocker". Antioxid Redox Signal. 15 (12): 3101–5. PMID 21609251. doi:10.1089/ars.2010.3842.
- "Prof. Roland Stocker". Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute.