The Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust is a certified, self-winding chronometer wristwatch manufactured by Rolex. When it was launched in 1945, the Datejust was the first self-winding chronometer wristwatch to indicate the date in a window on the dial. Today, it exists in a variety of sizes from 28mm to 41mm, in stainless steel, two-tone gold, and solid gold versions.
Rolex introduced the original Datejust (reference 4467) in 1945 to celebrate the company's 40th anniversary. It was available only in 18 karat yellow gold and had a small bubble back winder with a deeply domed back. It also featured the company's waterproof Oyster case (first introduced in 1926), a fluted bezel, and the new Jubilee bracelet (so named for the occasion).
Over the years, the Datejust saw an expansion of its design options as well as improvements to its movement, from a gradual date change shortly before midnight in the earliest versions to an instantaneous change beginning in 1955. Also in 1955, two years after its debut, Rolex added the now famous Cyclops lens as a major update.
The Datejust is offered with two Rolex bracelets: the Jubilee and the Oyster. The original Datejust was launched with a case size of 36mm. Subsequently, various sizes including ladies' and mid-sized versions were made available. The Turn-O-Graph model was introduced in 1955 as an award given to US Air Force pilots returning from combat missions. It featured a rotating bezel marked to 60 minutes, which can be used to measure time intervals. Datejust watches of this type have been nicknamed "Thunderbirds". This watch would form the basis for the Rolex Explorer (designed for Sir Edmund Hillary's Mount Everest expedition), the Rolex Submariner, and the Rolex Sea-Dweller.
In 2009, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust II was released. At 41mm in diameter (excluding the crown) its case is bigger than the original Datejust.
In 2016, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust 41 was released. The watch comes in stainless steel, and two-tone stainless steel and 18k yellow or 18k everose gold (Rolex's version of rose gold) bracelets. The 2016 41mm Datejust is on an Oyster or Jubilee bracelet. While the Datejust 41 has a similar-sized 41mm diameter case as the Datejust II, the Datejust 41 has smaller indexes and a thinner bezel compared to the Datejust II.
In this year, Rolex also introduced the new Caliber 3235 movement, which replaces more than 90% of the parts of its predecessor, the Caliber 3135 - Rolex’s longest running and most successful movement. Caliber 3235 includes a new escapement, the Chronergy, along with other significant improvements, and provides a 70-hour power reserve while maintaining the same dimensions as its predecessor.
At Baselworld 2015, Rolex announced that the Lady-Datejust 26mm would be replaced by a newer 28mm variant, with a new Caliber 2236 movement, refined lugs and middle case, a broad and clear dial, as well as a President or Jubilee bracelet integrated into the Oyster case.
As of 2019, the Datejust lineup consists of the following sizes: 28mm, 31mm, 34mm, 36mm, 41mm - which come in either full stainless steel, two-tone gold (yellow, Everose or white) and stainless steel, or solid gold (yellow, Everose and white) case and bracelet.
In popular culture
In the movie American Psycho, Patrick Bateman (played by Christian Bale) wears the Rolex Datejust 16013 - a two tone, 18ct yellow gold with a champagne coloured tapestry dial.  The Informers, another movie adapted from Bret Easton Ellis movies, also had some of their cast wearing Datejust watches.
Actor, film director, producer, race car driver, IndyCar owner, entrepreneur, and philanthropist, Paul Newman, was seen wearing a full Stainless Steel 36mm Datejust in his Oscar winning performance film The Color of Money.
Matthew McConaughey’s character in The Wolf of Wall Street wears a 90’s Rolesor Datejust.
Peruvian operatic tenor - Juan Diego Flórez has a 36mm, two-tone Rolex Datejust reference 116233 - one of the few Datejust models that utilized the Crownclasp; usually on President and PearlMaster models only.
Presidents Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and Joe Biden wore the Rolex Datejust while in office. Eisenhower's Datejust had a white Roman numeral dial, a stainless steel engine turned bezel and a steel jubilee bracelet and steel case.
British Prime Minister Winston Churchill was awarded the 100,000th officially certified chronometer by Rolex's founder, Hans Wilsdorf, while in office during World War II - a 36mm Datejust with a fluted white gold bezel and stainless-steel Jubilee bracelet .
- Edwards, Frank (1997). Wristwatches: A Connoisseur's Guide. New York: Firefly. pp. 160. ISBN 978-1-55209-083-1.
- Brozek, John E. (2002). The Rolex Report: An Unauthorized Reference Book For The Rolex Enthusiast. New York: Infoquest. p. 288. ISBN 978-0-9723133-0-8.
- "Your Cheat Sheet to the New Rolex Oyster Perpetual Lineup". Bloomberg.com. 2021-05-06. Retrieved 2021-09-10.
- "A Week On The Wrist: The Rolex Datejust". www.hodinkee.com.
- "Rolex Datejust: A casual Luxury Watch with Legendary Status". Buy & Sell | Pre-owned Certified Luxury Watches - Rolex, Cartier and many More. 2016-12-15. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "WatchTime Wednesday: The History of the Rolex Datejust". Monochrome Watches. 2014-08-27. Retrieved 2016-12-27.
- "Rolex Datejust Watch - Rolex Swiss Luxury Watches". Rolex.
- "Full Review - The new Rolex Datejust 41 from Baselworld 2016, with new case, new 3235 movement and comeback of the Jubilee (live pics & price)". Monochrome Watches. 12 April 2016.
- "The Rolex Caliber 3235". beckertime.com. BeckerTime. 22 August 2017.
- "BASELWORLD 2015: THE NEW LADY-DATEJUST 28MM, A TIMELESS CLASSIC REVISITED". getrealluxury.com. GetRealLuxury. 30 March 2015.
- "Datejust". rolex.com. Rolex. 10 July 2019.
- Esquire https://www.esquireme.com/style/american-psycho-watch. Missing or empty
- "The Classic Rolex Datejust – Patrick Bateman's Choice". fratellowatches.com. 23 May 2012.
- "Jakes Rolex: Aurel Bacs".
- "Every Rolex Tells a Story".
- "eBay luxury watch of the week".
- "The Most Famous and Iconic Movie Watches of All Time (That You Might Have Missed) | DHGATE Watches". 2021-03-31. Retrieved 2021-07-06.
- "Rolex, Patek Philippe and the Dalai Lama". www.esquireme.com. Esquire Middle East.
- "The watches of Dr Martin Luther king jr".
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Yuja Wang". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Sylvia Earle". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Juan Diego Flórez". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Watches Worn by U.S. Presidents". blog.crownandcaliber.com. Unwound - Crown & Caliber.
- "Winston Churchill's Datejust". static.rolex.com. Rolex.
- "The tale of Niki Lauda's rescuer and a Rolex Datejust". Esquire Magazine. 30 May 2019. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Roger Federer". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Rod Laver". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Chris Evert". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Angelique Kerber". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Garbiñe Muguruza". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Every Rolex Tells A Story - Annika Sörenstam". rolex.com. Rolex.
- "Profiles In Achievement: Michael Jordan". Jake's Rolex World.