Director General of CERN, Rolf-Dieter Heuer, upon taking up office in 2009
May 24, 1948 |
Bad Boll, Baden-Württemberg
|Institutions||Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft
University of Stuttgart
University of Heidelberg
|Doctoral advisor||Joachim Heintze|
Professor Rolf-Dieter Heuer (German: [ʁɔlf ˈdiːtɐ ˈhɔʏɐ]; born 24 May 1948 in Boll) is a German particle physicist and the Director General of CERN from 2009 to 2015. He currently is the President of Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft since 2016.
His post-doc studies include the JADE experiment at the electron-positron storage ring PETRA at DESY, and from 1984, at the OPAL experiment at CERN, where he also became spokesperson of the OPAL collaboration for many years.
Having been offered a full professorship for experimental physics at the University of Hamburg, Heuer returned to DESY in 1998. In 2004, he was appointed DESY's Research Director.
- On 15 June 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Victoria.
- On 19 July 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Liverpool. In his speech to the graduands he spoke of the need to bring science into mainstream culture.
- On 16 December 2011, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Birmingham.
- On 13 June 2012, Heuer was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Glasgow.
- On 12 November 2012, he was awarded an Edison Volta Prize.
- On 5 December 2013, he was awarded the Niels Bohr Medal.
- In September 2015, Heuer was awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of Belgrade.
- "Prof. Dr. Rolf-Dieter Heuer" (PDF). The Max Planck Society. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 1, 2015. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Brumfiel, G. (2012). "366 days: Nature's 10 – Rolf-Dieter Heuer: The Higgs diplomat". Nature. 492 (7429). pp. 335–343.
- Heuer, R. -D. (2012). "The future of the Large Hadron Collider and CERN". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. 370 (1961): 986–994. Bibcode:2012RSPTA.370..986H. doi:10.1098/rsta.2011.0467. PMID 22253249.
- "Physical Expertise for Europe". DPG. 2015-11-11. Retrieved 2016-01-31.
- "Council appoints Rolf-Dieter Heuer as CERN's next director-general...and looks to the LHC start-up and beyond". CERN Courier. 48 (1): 5. January 2008.
- Sutton, Christine (March 2009). "CERN sets course for new horizons". CERN Courier. 49 (2): 15–16.
- "Professor Dr. Rolf-Dieter Heuer Appointed as New Research Director", DESY Press Release, Hamburg, 4 October 2004
- "Rolf-Dieter Heuer to be New CERN Director General", DESY Press Releases, Hamburg, 14 December 2007
- "UNESCO and CERN: like hooked atoms; Jasmina Sopova meets Rolf-Dieter Heuer", in "Chemistry and life", The UNESCO Courier, January–March, 2011, pp. 48–50.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rolf-Dieter Heuer.|
|Director General of CERN
2009 – 2015