Early life and education
Rolf was born in Bergen, Norway. He was the son of the noted botanist, Rolf Nordhagen (1894– 1979) and the brother of art historian Per Jonas Nordhagen. He took his PhD in Liverpool in 1958, and was a docent in nuclear physics at the University of Oslo from 1970 to 1974. He changed to being the university's director of "EDB" (information technology) from 1974 to 1986 before being hired as a professor of informatics in 1986.
Nordhagen was involved in the development and reconstruction of both the Norwegian academic network UNINETT as well as the Nordic university network NORDUnet. Rolf Nordhagen was posthumously honored with admission into the Internet Hall of Fame in 2014.
- "Rolf Nordhagen" (PDF). aftenposten.no. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 February 2014.
- Dr. Rolf Nordhagen, University of Oslo (nordunet2002.dk)
- Rolf Nordhagen in memoriam (Nettavis for Universitetet i Oslo)
- Rolf Nordhagen, son of Rolf Nordhagen and Elisabeth Marie Nordhagen (Geni.com)
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Rolf Nordhagen – fysiker". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- Rolf Nordhagen: Fanget av nettet (Apollon)
- Rolf Nordhagen in The Internet Hall of Fame (University of Oslo Center for Information Technology)
- Rolf Nordhagen, Posthumous Recipient (Internet Society)